1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vietnam-The war that keeps on killing us

Discussion in 'Veterans Highway' started by Helipilot, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Cholangiocarcinoma, a tiny parasite that causes the aforementioned cancer in the bile duct years after eating the freshwater fish found in Vietnamese streams.

The Veterans Administration has been denying claims for it. Full story in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, November 26, 2017, page 2.

This will most likely affect Army, Marines, and others who served in the jungle and ate the fish when their rations ran out. I was in the Ashau Valley and we washed up in the stream next to the fire base after we would throw a grenade in the water to stun the leaches. Didn't eat any of the fish though.

2. 1969FJ

1969FJ

It is a real shame that the default VA response is always denial. I remember agent orange and the hell it took to finally get that through. I remember being in the Navy and hearing stories of all the agent orange issues. Also, Admiral Zumwalt actually ordered it to be sprayed in the Mekong Delta, ironically where is son was serving on a swiftboat. His son died at age 42 and it was difficult to watch.
    It is my hearts belief that all veteran's should NEVER be denied any medical treatment because of the diversity in which they serve. I suppose I am saying I would put the proof on the VA. In other words, I expect the VA to prove that a condition was not caused by whatever they are disputing. As of now , they put the burden on the veteran to prove it was from a service issue.

Elmo R. Zumwalt 3d, 42, Is Dead; Father Ordered Agent Orange Use

John McVicker and Helipilot like this.
  3. spotcruiser

spotcruiser Geezer SILVER Star

A good friend of mine, Ned Packard, did several tours in Vietnam in the Marine Corps during his service between 1960 and 1972. He passed away at 54, as did his 13-year-old daughter, from a form of leukemia. I don't know if the cause was ever determined, but I have to believe it was from exposure to Agent Orange or other defoliants.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Helipilot likes this.
  4. 1969FJ

1969FJ

I know it was a war and so forth , but the civilians that were part of receiving that agent orange are still suffering. I suppose it being a war means we are not responsible but it sure was hell for a lot of people, and the effects are still coming.

5. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Agent Orange. Seems like almost everybody (Monsanto) got rich off of the war as usual. The folks who actually fought the war got screwed as usual.

Case in point: My first son, conceived before I shipped over, has been spectacular with no problems; my second and third sons conceived after I got back and after being sprayed with Agent Orange both had learning problems which were greatly helped with special schooling and a lot of patience. My wife and I think the causal factors were exposure to Agent Orange. I developed Type II diabetes in my mid-sixties and the VA did recognize that as combat related. My VA file has a large orange sticker that says "Do Not Retire This File-Agent Orange Exposure". That, my friends, is interesting. What do they know that they are not telling us?

6. 1969FJ

1969FJ

You are probably still a test subject on the matter. Similar to thalidomide babies born in the 1960s whose mom took that came out pretty messed up. I had a friend who was one. He tried his best but he was tiny and shaped like a football.
    They will never retire your file- you are to valuable for that. Now, they should pay you for your value as well , a big number.

pngunme and Helipilot like this.
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">