vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my fj80 has a six inch lift and 35's. It has developed a nasty vibration after being driven for a while, like it has to heat up what ever is causeing it. I have a c.v joint in my front drive shaft so I know it's not an angle issue. But for kicks I removed the front driveshaft, locked the center diff and the vibration goes away. I was told that the all wheel drive uses a viscous couplong of some type, and that it may have issues, any more inclusive info or advice would be great, any other info needed just ask thanks a great deal!!

I was going to suggest the VC as well.

The VC is only present if you have ABS. If you do have ABS I'd measure the circumference of the tires to see if one is larger than the others which would account for the heating of the VC and possibly the Vibration. Check the tire pressure also as I have in the past had a punctured tirer as low as 8psi and couldn't tell without a good pressure guage.

Just measured tire preasure - all even, newer 35inch pro comp x terrains, about 5k on them. I do have ABS, diff locks all round, ect. If the VC is the cause, is there anyway to isolate it to be sure? And if it is bad could I do a 2 wheel-4wheel drive mod to eliminate it completel. I have seen the kits for sle. Thanks again for the responses, if I don't fix this soon the misses will kill me!!

If the VC is locking you should get binding up when turning sharp.
Remove the rear driveshaft and run with the front one.
Lock the center diff and run on gravel road.
More info on the vib.
Is it like a hum that pulsates?

yes a pulsating hum is exactly what it's like!! (were still talking about the truck right?)

I have new t-case new u-joints,tire, used yoke and rebuilt front diff and still have the hum.
Unless its in the rear diff, its something we will have to live with.

check the bushings in your steering system to see if any are mushy. Just lie under the front while someone turns your wheels back and forth. Check the sway bar mounts too.

what year is your truck? I'm not sure that an fj80 had a vc as distinct from an fzj80?

Put your original stock front driveshaft back in place of the CV job, and see what happens.
Sean

When I had the front drivshaft off there was no vib.
It seams to me that the vib is like the power is going from the front to rear output shafts in the t-case.

Same as landtoy, when front drive line is out it's smppth as silk, but put in the front drive line and drive for a while and vibration shows up. If it was a drive line balnce issue it would happen all the time as balance won't change with temp. I also had a shop spin the front drive line on there balance machine as fast as they could and it was perfectly balanced. My vibration wasn't there before and is definately getting worse with wear/mileage or what ever is affecting it. If it is the viscous coupling and I drive it does anyone know what will happen?

I had that same hum vibration. It eventually got so bad that in COLD weather it made a hell of a noise. I cleaned and lubed the spindle bushings! There is a long thread a few weeks back on the whole diagnosis. From what I gathered Toyota has come out with a new spindle that has needle bearings in it instead of the brass bushing. I'm sure the brash bushing was fine on a part time system but not for us full timers.

I don't think its the VC as I have had 3 t-cases on my 80 in the last year and a half. Unless the two new ones are bad from the getgo.
Try and remove the rear driveshaft and see what happens.

xl715, I think it is your CV front driveshaft. Try putting your stock front driveshaft back in and see how that works. Worth a try as it is easy to do. I have a feeling that the high speed balancing for a CV driveshaft does not tell us the whole story. They balance and spin them in a straight line configuration. This is just the beginning of a theory as I could be way off base. My perfectly balanced front CV drivehaft may be the culprit of some minor vibration I was having. I put the stock driveshaft back in and the vibs were gone. WTF?? BTW I also have a 6" LIFT AND 35s.
Cheers,
Sean

Thanks everyone for all the input!!! I tried removing my rear drive shaft and installing the front only, could not duplicate vibration, however I may not have drove it far enough. So I just decided to say f#$% it and live with the vibration. I will be overhauling the front hubs for 90k service in the next few weeks, hopefully this will help. If not I'll fix what ever is causing it when it breaks(The redneck route!!) Thanks again for all the responses!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom