Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished putting my BDS 4" lift on my 69' cruiser last night. I drove it around a little and found that while on the gas in secound or third gear there would be a vibration (not in first). If in neutral while traveling at the same speed there was no vibration at all. I had no problems at all prior to lift. Whats going on? Anyone have similiar problems? Any help is much appreciated.

under load your u-joints might not be happy with the new driveline angles. I replaced all mine after the 4" lift which was probably overkill but made me happy :D

another thing that was a problem was that the yokes were out of phase, I almost rattled my fillings loose at 45 m.p.h. :p

check your driveshaft phase and operation angles...most likely a vibration from that. http://www.4xshaft.com has good tech on shaft problems. May need a 2.5 or 4 degree shim in the rear to re-point the pinion angle.

i had the exact same problem when i just recently done my lift on my 60 turns out that my driveline was out of phase, there is no master spline on the slip yolk like most trucks also someone said when i posted this concern that a ujoint that is borderline will be felt when you install the lift. i put my driveline back right and install two ujoints and it fixed the problem good luck

Thank you all. Seems that a ujoint is most likely the problem. Where can I get a new one? Easy to install? How much $. Stretch - "Drive line out of phase" what does this mean and how do you fix it? Thanks again everyone.

this picture shows mine out of phase. The yokes should be in line 0--------0 :D

Deep south Cruiser thanks for the pic. I am sure the yokes are out of phase as I had no idea of this when puting it back together.

Anytime! the guys here and on Pirate4x4 educated me :slap: mine was left this way by the previous owner. After fixing it I still had some wobble so I had all the u-joints replaced and had the driveshaft retubed and balanced (your shaft is stock so you shouldn't have to worry with that).

Good luck! and post some pics!!

Jerry

its a simple fix just pull the slip yolk out and line up the O---O and put it back together you can get the ujoints from a local parts store. as far as changing them they can be a pain i ended up cutting one of mine out it all depends on how long they have been in and what tools you have. if you research my post it has been a couple weeks now someone added a page on how to do it with pictures and everything i will try to find it andpull it to the top of the list for ya :D

I did it the way lined out in the writeup listed above. Its a bitch, especially when your u-joints are original. Took my 4 hours of banging and destroyed two sockets in the process. You do need to know how to change them yourself, so I would do one just for the experience and then just take it to a driveshaft shop where they can press it out and replace it in no time for next to nothing, saves busted sockets and knuckles and tired arms.

ALL FIXED! Deep south cruiser & Stretch were right, all I had to do is put the yokes in unison and all the vibration was gone. Seems my ujoints are still ok. Thanks all.

cool !

Land Cruiser u-joints are dayum tough but seeing as they were 25 years old I went ahead and replaced them all while I had it apart. I still get a slight hum in the cab at 45 m.p.h. but with 35" mud tires and tunes blasting in my ear i don't even notice it anymore :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom