Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aircrew

Beer sipping, Toque wearing northern brother
Threads
Hello Everybody,

In my 89 hilux ln106 I have had a strange vibration latley....

See if this makes any sense to you guys:

-Happens only in fifth.
-At 2400 - 2500 RPM, Tried shifting into fourth and driving at the same speed... no dice.
-No other RPM or Speed.
-Does not happen in Neutral.
-Sounds like it comes through the shifter, and seat, but not particularly one side, both and from the rear of the truck.
-About 3-5 beats per second, does not sound like a tire.
-quite loud...
-Checked all U joints, one is a tad loose, but I mean very small, maybe a 64th of an inch movement. All others are good.
-Steady bearing moves up and down about a 1/4 of an inch, very sloppy.
-My rear Spline pukes grease... Grease it daily and still takes like 10 good pumps of grease.
-Output Plate has no play, tightened that about 5 months ago.
-And last but not least, sound goes away if I let off the accelerator pedal, and comes back when I push the accelerator again. Driving me nuts, and I don't want to damage anything.

-Rear Diff, Front Diff, Transfer Case, Tranny all have correct amount of oil.
-Joints are grease.
-no loose bolts....

Does it matter how the rear drive shafts are bolted to the tranny and diff? Are they supposed to be offset?

Think it might be the Steady Bearing????

Thanks

Brodie

Sounds like your 5th is fixin' to grenade.........

Comments...

-My rear Spline pukes grease... Grease it daily and still takes like 10 good pumps of grease.

Maybe you are missing the end cap on the driveshaft, and it's just spinning out? Maybe it doesn't need 10 pumps of grease daily?

Does it matter how the rear drive shafts are bolted to the tranny and diff? Are they supposed to be offset?

Do you mean offset, or "in-phase" (U joint yokes aligned). They are supposed to be in the same orientation.

I don't think either will cause your vibration, though. Good Luck

Rocky

-Steady bearing moves up and down about a 1/4 of an inch, very sloppy.

Think it might be the Steady Bearing????

Thanks

Brodie

Call me ignorant, but WTH is a steady bearing? :confused: ;)

Regardless, if it has a 1/4" of slop, somethings not right...

I am assuming he's talking about the hanger bering. witch should have play it is surounded by a rubber grommet that let's it move.

Wow totally forgot to respond! It was the steady bearing... or hangar bearing... also happened to be s***ty old grease causing a weight difference on the u joint... good now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom