Vibration with New BFG KO2 on ICON Vector 5s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a nearly new set of 17" Icon wheels wrapped in BFG KO2s (275/70/17) from a fellow IH8Mudder. I previously converted my 2000 LX 470 to a LC suspension when the hydraulic system wore out. Although, I'd like to do a minor lift, I don't it lifted yet. I expected some minor rubbing, which does happen when I make a tight turn, but the vibration in the steering wheel when driving on the road is worse than I expected. The tires only have about 500 miles on them, and they appear to have been balanced. I haven't had my alignment checked in quite some time. Anyone have ideas what I should do first to try to address the vibration issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I just bought a nearly new set of 17" Icon wheels wrapped in BFG KO2s (275/70/17) from a fellow IH8Mudder. I previously converted my 2000 LX 470 to a LC suspension when the hydraulic system wore out. Although, I'd like to do a minor lift, I don't it lifted yet. I expected some minor rubbing, which does happen when I make a tight turn, but the vibration in the steering wheel when driving on the road is worse than I expected. The tires only have about 500 miles on them, and they appear to have been balanced. I haven't had my alignment checked in quite some time. Anyone have ideas what I should do first to try to address the vibration issue? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Balance sounds off. I've had best luck with Discount Tire, they use road force balancers.

Will add, I had to get rid of a half worn set of All Terrains (Toyo AT IIIs) due to cupping and uneven wear which couldn't be fixed with weights. My fault for not rotating them frequently enough, lesson learned. Hopefully yours can be balanced though.

Thanks, Patassa! I was planning to take it to Discount Tire, as I've had great experience with them. I appreciate the reminder about rotating and balancing regularly- I recently had to prematurely replace a set on my wife's Sequoia bc I failed to do that.

Late response hear but ...

If you are not running spacers with these then that would be the problem. The restricted bite opening will not seat in a 100 series and your install shop may have torqued then down without noticing the hub contact

Verify the wheel is actually mounted against the hub and not the hub bolts like Discount Tire did for mine.

With the amount of errors I have experienced with DT I switched to a local small business. DT couldn't find a slow leak on my 200 (wife took it in) that I found in two minutes, 45 minutes drive each way, washed my hands of them.

Also, I should add that ICON gave me a bad wheel once that was not the same bore as the other four that I ordered. They will not honor a warranty on their lousy manufacturing process and send you a new one because they said all wheels should be test fitted to all locations prior to installing the tires. I didn't know that was the process and neither did DT because they didn't catch it when installing.

Late response hear but ...

If you are not running spacers with these then that would be the problem. The restricted bite opening will not seat in a 100 series and your install shop may have torqued then down without noticing the hub contact

bozncssurf and Dparo-

Thanks so much for your responses! Both are very helpful. They make a lot of sense. Fortunately, I haven't driven my LX much bc I think that you guys are right about my problem. Any insight on what kind/size of spacers would solve my problem, and where I could get them? Thanks a bunch for your help!

Also, I should add that ICON gave me a bad wheel once that was not the same bore as the other four that I ordered. They will not honor a warranty on their lousy manufacturing process and send you a new one because they said all wheels should be test fitted to all locations prior to installing the tires. I didn't know that was the process and neither did DT because they didn't catch it when installing.
Dang! That's disappointing! I might have that problem in addition to my mounting/ no spacer issue. Really appreciate you help!

I didn't notice that this was a month old.

To the best of my knowledge you shouldn't need spacers to get the wheel to fit, only I suppose if you want to use the included center caps. Find my thread on SCS wheels, I had a similar experience with the ICON except the ICONS will fit if they are the correct advertised bore diameter. The SCS thread shows what I mean by it not sitting against the hub. My vibes were terrible so I didn't get far before finding the problem.

The vector 5s definitely need a spacer. There’s a post / thread about the minimum size / width required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom