vibration, torque converter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
il mio 62 ha 140.000 km, sembra originale.
è fermo da più di 10 anni.
Il cambio automatico cambia molto bene, sia in salita che in discesa, non mi sembra che ci siano problemi.
Ma quello che mi preoccupa è una vibrazione/risonanza che fa vibrare tutta l'auto soprattutto a 2000 giri.
Non vorrei che fosse il convertitore di coppia ad avere problemi.
Qualcuno ha avuto questo problema?

Si prega di tradurre il messaggio dall'italiano all'inglese tramite Google Translate prima di pubblicare.

il mio 62 ha 140.000 km, sembra originale.
è fermo da più di 10 anni.
Il cambio automatico cambia molto bene, sia in salita che in discesa, non mi sembra che ci siano problemi.
Ma quello che mi preoccupa è una vibrazione/risonanza che fa vibrare tutta l'auto soprattutto a 2000 giri.
Non vorrei che fosse il convertitore di coppia ad avere problemi.
Qualcuno ha avuto questo problema?
Questa vibrazione si verifica solo quando ti muovi? Se metti il cambio in folle la vibrazione si verifica quando giri il motore a 2000 giri/min? Se il veicolo è rimasto inutilizzato per dieci anni, potresti avere punti piatti nei pneumatici che potrebbero causare vibrazioni. Potrebbe anche essere necessario riparare le articolazioni dello sterzo. Può anche essere una fonte di vibrazioni.

I speak english. I'm using google translate to help you. We all love helping each other on the forum here, but it would help if english was used. I don't mind the extra work to help you out, but others would be more willing to speak up if they understood what you're asking.

Proverò a darti qualche consiglio sulla luce a olio di cui sei preoccupato nell'altra discussione che hai postato. La combinazione degli argomenti in un thread ci aiuterà ad aiutarti. La spia dell'olio potrebbe avere un cortocircuito elettrico. Forse è un brutto problema di messa a terra? Hai sostituito tutti i liquidi nel camion da quando l'hai messo in funzione dopo dieci anni? Ci sono ottime possibilità che tutto vada bene e che tu abbia solo un problema con l'interruttore stesso. Potrebbero parlare altre persone che hanno più informazioni di me.

From now on I will type in english so everyone else on the forum can understand what we're saying without having to do extra work.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSS
I'm sorry that the message was written in Italian. it was in english but for some reason google translated it. excuse me.

My 62 has 140,000 km, it looks original.
it has been standing still for more than 10 years.
The automatic gearbox shifts very well, both uphill and downhill, I don't think there are any problems.
But what worries me is a vibration / resonance that makes the whole car vibrate especially at 2000 rpm.
I don't want the torque converter to have problems.
Has anyone had this problem?

the vibration is also there when I am stationary in P or N.
when I press the accelerator slowly the vibration starts and gets stronger and stronger.
It is not a transmission or tire problem.
it's something that runs with the engine, so I was thinking about the converter.
All fluids were changed, even the automatic transmission oil.
Now I want to try changing the oil again and changing the filter.
When it was done by the mechanic I have not seen

Can you hear anything related to this vibration?

Just to rule this out, look at the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. It’s a pulley attached to the crankshaft. It has a rubber core designed to absorb vibrations. The rubber will fail when it’s old causing the pulley to wobble. With the engine on, look at it and see if it turns true. It should be solid with no lateral movement. The belts should ride in the grooves smoothly and you should not see them wander on the pulley.

Here is a picture of the harmonic balancer on my 1987 FJ60 USA specifications. It is at the bottom of the engine.
1217A991-5B0C-40A6-80CE-E2A343D20F95.jpeg
ADAE7824-6FE8-4360-A272-FF81623618DE.jpeg

Furthermore, if you have not been able to verify that all the fluids have been changed before you started driving it I would do that first. This will give you peace of mind and you’ll also see what the condition of the internals looks like.

When vehicles sit for a long time the gaskets can dry out. When they become wet again after the engine is used, they can start to leak. So keep your eyes out for new leaks as you start driving it around. Address those when they arise. Most things on this truck are very easy to fix. I have changed the transmission, alone, in a public parking lot. If you have any mechanical skills you’ll do fine with this truck.

Reactions: OSS
the pulley is perfect, the belts turn well.
The gearbox oil pan is very clean including the oil.
Now let's check the petrol injectors and maybe the engine mounts

update:
engine rubber mounts changed,
spark plugs changed
spark plug cables changed
distributor cover changed
air flow meter changed
overhauled petrol injectors
checked vacuum tubes
temperature sensors verified
tested oxygen sensors
adjusted ignition time
adjusted valve clearance
compression verified
engine oil replaced
automatic transmission oil replaced
tested engine without services
new exhaust line
Despite all this, the vibration remained.
At this point we try to remove the gearbox and see if the problem is the engine or the torque converter onwards
If you have any suggestions, go ahead

Broken flexplate. Remove 2-bolt inspection cover and inspect

disassembled the gearbox, I found this.
The flex plate is not broken, the converter as you can see from the photo only enters 2 mm, is this normal?
This video of the torque converter moving, is this normal?

convertitore coppia innesto.jpg

ruota dentata avviamento a.jpg

This is what mine looks like apart. It was working perfect with no issues. ( 1989 FJ62 )
The depth of engagement is around 1/4" or for you in metric 7mm.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Your video is kind of short, the movement seems OK.

Last edited:
Now that you have the transmission out, I would pull the converter out of the transmission bolt the transmission back up
to the engine and start it and see if you still get the vibration.

if you do, then it's coming from your engine, if not then it's the transmission / converter.

When you pull the converter also change the seal while you're in there.

why does he need to bolt the transmission to the engine to start it? simply jump the NSS

How were the bolts from the flexplate to the torque converter? It is possible to have a vibration if those are misaligned, loose, or improperly installed. I chased a vibration in my FJ62 down to these bolts and the solution was replacing them with new OEM bolts to proper torque and in sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom