Vibration from my BJ40 1978 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are your drive shaft yokes in phase correctly?

DriveshaftYokes.jpg

:beer:

Use your phone or an angle finder to check to see that the angle of the pinion is the same as the angle of the TC output flange. Your shim requirement should correct for any difference. I had to go with a 2* shim when I went from stock to a 2.5 OME. 6* seems like a lot of shim for that lift.

Measure first, then shim to correct the angles, good luck.

I have had many 2.5 lifts that did not require shims at all. If you are running stock length shackles I would just remove the shims and give it a try.

Thank you, ShawnFJ4o,77Mustard40 and loatmarbles.
I found the problem I think. When I had the extra leaf spring installed with the shims he put the shims in backwards.
So the thick part is to face the transforcase, he had it facing the rear bumper.
I'm called today and it will be reverced on Monday (hope).
I will post to let you know the out come. Thank you again.....

Robert

I try to avoid getting into discussions on lifts and wedge shims because I've never been directly involved in either...

But it's nice to know at least that your drive-shaft yokes are correctly in phase for both front and rear.

Some good photos of your front and rear driveshaft angles may prompt input from those that can help you perhaps

:beer:

Ok one more try. Remove the shims and check your alignment ( use Stanley to help). 2.5 inches might not need any correction if you are running stock length shackles. Many spring manufacturers are moving the alignment pin when they make a longer than stock spring. It makes up for most of the changes to drive line misalignment. Also make sure for that reason that your springs are in the right direction and not flipped around.

I want to thank you all for your help and great advice. I took the shim out of the rear and turned the front shim around.
The BJ rides and steers like a new car......
There is a FREE app. on your iphone the help me a lot.
You use your iphone to check 3 points on the drive line to see if it is correct.
The app. is TREMEC......

Thank you again.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom