Vibration from Air Filter Housing when in drive and braked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a vibration coming from the top of the Air Filter Housing when I'm in drive and brake for a stop. When braked and in drive, it idles just around 600 rpm and vibrates. When I put it in P or N it idles around 650ish with no vibration. I know it's the housing because I had my wife get in the driver seat and go back in forth while was inspecting the engine compartment. As soon as I held and pushed down a bit, the vibration went away... at least until she put it in park again and back to drive.

This is driving me nuts... I've tightened all the mounts but no go... anyone have this before?

Thanks

No, never heard of it.

Maybe a snorkel will make the vibration go away?

:D

do you have an OEM filter? the Toyota one fits tight in there, others may not. have you looked at the tuna can? coudl be something in there or in the main filter housing

95 does not have a pair valve correct?

No PAIR valve. Agree on wingnut, filter brand questions. There's nothing to rattle with a factory filter, the three clamps engaged, the tuna can clamps engaged and the wingnut tight. Unless you bought it used and that's the diamond studded money clip full of G notes the previous owner left in his hidey spot...

DougM

I have the exact same vibration....when I come to a stop while in drive. However, I think the vibration is actually coming from the plastic air intake assembly inside the RT front quarter panel. There must be a mounting bolt missing or something out of alignment there but because I haven't been able to access I've just been ignoring it.....

The heat shield down low may be touching the fender and causing it to vibrate. I have the same issue sometimes since opening up the exhaust.

The wing nut is tight and the filter is OEM. When the engine idles when stopped, the engine vibrates more than it would while in park or neutral, because of that, it is vibrating the intake hose that connects to the top of the filter housing. The vibration isn't like a hign pitched rattling but a deep motion vibration. You would think it was just the engine by feeling it, but it's not... I did verify the motion... while pressing on the top of the filter housing. Again the wing nut is as tight as I can get it.

Last edited:
Zmacman said:

"The best I can describe it is that when the engine idles when stopped."

Um, OK............

DougM

thanks Doug... realized I needed to reword that... haha. Hopefully it makes more sense.

RavenTai said:
have you looked at the tuna can? coudl be something in there or in the main filter housing?

Not sure I know what the Tuna can is... would that be the small 'can' at the bottom of the housing?

I have the same issue and It sucks. I know it's the intake but don't know how to stop it. 1995 75K miles

I'm getting an odd noise now in my wife's 80.

:hmm:

I wonder if this might be the issue.
The "rattle" is coming from the front PS of the rig -- according the the :princess:, it's toward the front of the vehicle.

I'll need to take a closer look this weekend. I'll report back to this thread on what I find and what, if anything I can do to resolve the issue.

FWIW -- I got the same symptoms in my rig, and haven't pinpointed the exact location of it yet.

I do have my intake for my York OBA system plumbed to the bottom of the filter can though so the fitting could be the cause of my vibration. I'll dig back into it and see if I can help find the problem.

Had the same type of vibe, but it ended up being the OEM bumper corner. Both of them were missing the bolt holding it to the bracket. New bolts, that noise is gone. Too bad i discovered a few other ones :doh:

Daisy

Identical issue to what is described in this ancient thread. I swapped my air filter to the Napa/Wix which has a metal casing, this rattle started. It’s 100% from the air cleaner/filter.

I know the OEM filter won’t make noise, but I ran one of these filters many years ago and it did not make noise. Is there any gasket or something that is supposed to seal/dampen vibration in the air cleaner? The wing nut and top is tight.

Identical issue to what is described in this ancient thread. I swapped my air filter to the Napa/Wix which has a metal casing, this rattle started. It’s 100% from the air cleaner/filter.

I know the OEM filter won’t make noise, but I ran one of these filters many years ago and it did not make noise. Is there any gasket or something that is supposed to seal/dampen vibration in the air cleaner? The wing nut and top is tight.
No seal from factory. But you could always put something in there to close the gap.
I picked up a 1ft square piece of thin rubber mat to cut up and use in places just for this purpose. Handy thing to have for rigs of this age.
Amazon product ASIN B07GL9MHW7
There is also the bolts on inner fender where the air cleaner can attaches. Mine rattled here when the bolts became a little loose.

Is the NAPA/Wix air filter slightly shorter than the OEM?

If so, it may not actually be getting clamped between the top and bottom within the housing and it is just the top lid that is being clamped and tightened.

Is the NAPA/Wix air filter slightly shorter than the OEM?

If so, it may not actually be getting clamped between the top and bottom within the housing and it is just the top lid that is being clamped and tightened.
I’ll check that out today. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom