Vibration from Air Filter Housing when in drive and braked

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by zmacman, Nov 11, 2005.

1. zmacman

zmacman

I have a vibration coming from the top of the Air Filter Housing when I'm in drive and brake for a stop. When braked and in drive, it idles just around 600 rpm and vibrates. When I put it in P or N it idles around 650ish with no vibration. I know it's the housing because I had my wife get in the driver seat and go back in forth while was inspecting the engine compartment. As soon as I held and pushed down a bit, the vibration went away... at least until she put it in park again and back to drive.

This is driving me nuts... I've tightened all the mounts but no go... anyone have this before?

Thanks

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

No, never heard of it.

Maybe a snorkel will make the vibration go away?

:D

3. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Is the wingnut on top tight?

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

do you have an OEM filter? the Toyota one fits tight in there, others may not. have you looked at the tuna can? coudl be something in there or in the main filter housing

95 does not have a pair valve correct?

5. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

No PAIR valve. Agree on wingnut, filter brand questions. There's nothing to rattle with a factory filter, the three clamps engaged, the tuna can clamps engaged and the wingnut tight. Unless you bought it used and that's the diamond studded money clip full of G notes the previous owner left in his hidey spot...

DougM

6. mroach

mroach

I have the exact same vibration....when I come to a stop while in drive. However, I think the vibration is actually coming from the plastic air intake assembly inside the RT front quarter panel. There must be a mounting bolt missing or something out of alignment there but because I haven't been able to access I've just been ignoring it.....

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

The heat shield down low may be touching the fender and causing it to vibrate. I have the same issue sometimes since opening up the exhaust.

8. zmacman

zmacman

The wing nut is tight and the filter is OEM. When the engine idles when stopped, the engine vibrates more than it would while in park or neutral, because of that, it is vibrating the intake hose that connects to the top of the filter housing. The vibration isn't like a hign pitched rattling but a deep motion vibration. You would think it was just the engine by feeling it, but it's not... I did verify the motion... while pressing on the top of the filter housing. Again the wing nut is as tight as I can get it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  9. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Zmacman said:

"The best I can describe it is that when the engine idles when stopped."

Um, OK............

DougM

10. zmacman

zmacman

thanks Doug... realized I needed to reword that... haha. Hopefully it makes more sense.

11. zmacman

zmacman

Not sure I know what the Tuna can is... would that be the small 'can' at the bottom of the housing?

12. cruiserman

cruiserman

13. zpilot

zpilot

I have the same issue and It sucks. I know it's the intake but don't know how to stop it. 1995 75K miles

14. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I'm getting an odd noise now in my wife's 80.

:hmm:

I wonder if this might be the issue.
    The "rattle" is coming from the front PS of the rig -- according the the :princess:, it's toward the front of the vehicle.

I'll need to take a closer look this weekend. I'll report back to this thread on what I find and what, if anything I can do to resolve the issue.

15. chitown40

chitown40

FWIW -- I got the same symptoms in my rig, and haven't pinpointed the exact location of it yet.

I do have my intake for my York OBA system plumbed to the bottom of the filter can though so the fitting could be the cause of my vibration. I'll dig back into it and see if I can help find the problem.

16. Daisy 53

Daisy 53

Media:
    Albums:
    Had the same type of vibe, but it ended up being the OEM bumper corner. Both of them were missing the bolt holding it to the bracket. New bolts, that noise is gone. Too bad i discovered a few other ones :doh:

Daisy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.