Vibration dampener!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was playing on a pile of rocks and one of the lucky ones jumped up and bent my vibration dampener, up agenst my skid plate, causing a loud vibrating noise. So out came the tools, off with the 50 pound bent rock catcher. What was this part for and how is not having it going to effect my truck? Do I need a new one?

anybody???

Is it the one that hangs off the tranny/diff assembly? You might notice additional vibration at certain RPMs or at idle, etc. These are engineered and added very late in the design process to offset the vibration that often occurs once you have prototypes running around and after all is said and done there is a drivetrain vibration in a narrow RPM range. Then an appropriately positioned dampener of the correct mass to offset it (without creating a new one)is installed.

So, if you notice it, just roughly unbend whatever got bent and slap it back on. Try to get it back in the same plane for max effectiveness.

DougM

Oh so just adding another, or a new one, will not fix any vibes?

Not sure I understand post 4, but yes adding a new one from Toyota would do it. But adding anything else as a weight would be a pure guess and would not do a thing unless you happened to get the exact weight and lever arm.

Sounds like you tossed it, eh?

DougM

Yes tossed it, what about adding one from another truck??

i bent mine in my 4runner and didnt notice any difference. bent it back just to be sure...no difference. after you tossed it..are the vibes still there? if so, grab one from a wrecker or someone parting out here and slap it back on. if the vibes are still there after replacement, then theres something else going on...

Ok will have to get one one the vibration is not to bad just at idle while wating for a light?!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom