Vibration at high RPM and high torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve done a search and can’t find anything that actually matches this issue exactly as the issue is happening only at specific times (though I’m sure there is).

Whats happening is I’m getting a pretty solid feeling vibration/shudder generally only at higher rpm’s and only in a high torque situation. The best example I could give is if I am driving up a steep grade and I step on the gas to keep the speed, the vehicle may or may not down shift (meaning doesn’t matter what gear it’s in) and it will vibrate or shudder until I am off the gas or really when there is less torque on the engine/trans. Another example is if I am getting on the freeway “stomping” on the gas ( doesn’t do itt if I’m gently on the gas) it will do the same thing until I get to speed and let off the gas.…. To be more clear it’s basically only when there is a high load put on the vehicle as I could be at the same speed at same rpm without a high load on the engine/trans and it is smooth as silk without a load.

Thanks for any input.

2003 LX470

Last edited:
So the vibration is from the floor, particularly when uphill right? I have a very similar issue as yours. Search around the forums, the posts here talked about transmission fluid, fuel filter, fuel pump, and vacuum hoses, we should do this for a 15+ yrs car anyway...so I ordered all of these and plan to tackle them one by one to see if work...

Vibration under load is often a u joint. I would check for excessive play in the joint.

Start with tranny fluid flush, then cast a suspicious eye at the torque converter.

I would check all the u joints of both driveshafts. Chock the wheels and put transmission in neutral then shake each joint up and down watching for play in the bearings of the joint.

I would check all the u joints of both driveshafts. Chock the wheels and put transmission in neutral then shake each joint up and down watching for play in the bearings of the joint.
Will directly replace both shafts resolve this? how about this?
Watched some video of change U-joint, kind of tricky...and they said the balance of the shaft also could lead vibration means even though change the U-joint only will not kill this symptom. And order two new shafts put it on seems will 100% sure resolve this if this really caused by u-joint and shaft.

Start with tranny fluid flush, then cast a suspicious eye at the torque converter.
But how do we know the toque converter has an issue? what is the symptom to accert that part has an issue? it is inside the transmission right? (if there is no code of transmission)

But how do we know the toque converter has an issue? what is the symptom to accert that part has an issue? it is inside the transmission right? (if there is no code of transmission)
Same problem. Took of rear driveline and locked diff still there. Took of front driveline still there. New cv joints. Re balanced tires. My mechanic has lost hope for me. 🥲

Torque converter issues tend to exhibit specific symptoms. Bone up on knowledge via Google and YouTube videos.

I think I’ll start with checking the U joint play…. that sounds much better than a torque converter issue

I was wondering if you had any luck with your vibration issue? I'm having the exact same problem and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

None yet but I haven’t been able to poke around at any of the suggestions above just yet as I’ve been to busy at work to crawl under my rig and try and shake my driveline around, hopefully this weekend I can get to it, would be nice if that’s all it is is U joints

I was under the impression these symptoms can also be caused by a poor interface between the cv drive flange and the spindle (aka worn splines, clunk), no?

I was under the impression these symptoms can also be caused by a poor interface between the cv drive flange and the spindle (aka worn splines, clunk), no?
Very happy to see someone have the same feeling as me! Yes, I do believe this kind of vibration is related to CV parts also.
When I got my gig last year, I had vibration both when acceleration from 30 to 50 and when uphill/higher torque at that time. I changed both CV axles, flanges, bearings with OEM parts, then the acceleration vibration issue was cured. Then only the high torque/ uphill vibration is still there.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you had any luck with your vibration issue? I'm having the exact same problem and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.
I will first change my ATF this weekend, the only chance this should help is I could assume my ATF change done by a shop last year is a half-ass job, they maybe did not do a temperature test or did this when the vehicle is tilted. But who knows...I will just do this as the first step (I will not do a full flush since this ATF just changed last year, I only have 2000 miles on it this year...should still be very clean).

My fuel pump will arrive in two weeks, then I will do the fuel pump change and fuel filter change.

If still does not work, I will do both driveshafts change after September (105F+ out there...no one should work under a car this kind of weather really ...)

Then if still like this, I will look into the God Da#$#% torque converter...

I will first change my ATF this weekend, the only chance this should help is I could assume my ATF change done by a shop last year is a half-ass job, they maybe did not do a temperature test or did this when the vehicle is tilted. But who knows...I will just do this as the first step (I will not do a full flush since this ATF just changed last year, I only have 2000 miles on it this year...should still be very clean).

My fuel pump will arrive in two weeks, then I will do the fuel pump change and fuel filter change.

If still does not work, I will do both driveshafts change after September (105F+ out there...no one should work under a car this kind of weather really ...)

Then if still like this, I will look into the God Da#$#% torque converter...
Yeah I’m hoping its not the God Da#$#% torque converter as well… I’m choosing to be optimistic by starting out small with the U joints 😬

Maybe not relevant to the vibration but I can see your point if it was shudder that you pointed to.

How many miles (over 200k?) Could be ujoints, but that vibe will present more pronounced as speed increases- less noticeable under 45 mph

could be drive shaft balance, worn CV axles, etc

read up on diagnosis here:

Vibrating/shuddering underload sounds a lot like bad CVs to me, when you're under load, the angle of your axles changes and it'll oscillate. Are you lifted? Are CV axles OEM or aftermarket? Are the boots torn? etc...need more info

Maybe not relevant to the vibration but I can see your point if it was shudder that you pointed to.

How many miles (over 200k?) Could be ujoints, but that vibe will present more pronounced as speed increases- less noticeable under 45 mph

could be drive shaft balance, worn CV axles, etc

read up on diagnosis here:
Great intel on that link thanks for digging that up and posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom