Vibration after spacers and Toyo AT tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just switched from stock Bridgestone Dueler tires (2006 LX470) to 275 70 18 Toyo Open Country AT3 with 1.25" Spidertrax spacers. I am experiencing a slight vibration in the steering wheel now, going 55-70mph, steering is just not quite as smooth as before. Tried rebalancing the front already. Just wondering, is this normal after going with bigger AT tires and spacers? What's your experience?

I think the wheels need to be re-balanced. Did the tire shop used an adhesive type of wheel weights or it was the clamp type on the outer lip of the wheel?

x2 on needing re-balance. I bet they cross-balanced a tire or two...

best way to nail down the problem is to remove the spacers and drive it and see if it goes away. If so... its the spacers, if not, its the tires. Hope you get it figured out. I've found out through experience on sports cars, a lot of the time its the spacers unfortunately.

-Jeff

best way to nail down the problem is to remove the spacers and drive it and see if it goes away. If so... its the spacers, if not, its the tires. Hope you get it figured out. I've found out through experience on sports cars, a lot of the time its the spacers unfortunately.

-Jeff
Agree.

Recheck torque on spacers and wheels too. Are they road force balancing them? My AT3s were loud and I had vibration when I first installed them, after a few thousand miles I got them rebalanced, and re torqued everything, they are great now.

^ x2 on retorque and switch spacers to other side.
Might be preload not up to spec on wheel bearing, spacers but a little more stress on them.

Recheck torque on spacers and wheels too. Are they road force balancing them? My AT3s were loud and I had vibration when I first installed them, after a few thousand miles I got them rebalanced, and re torqued everything, they are great now.
Thanks, I will definitely tell them to do that, didn't know it could be so sensitive to the torque as well. I don't think they road force balanced them to begin with. Glad your AT3s are great now! Looking forward to getting mine smoothed out

Well, ended up getting the tires re-balanced on a Hunter machine at a different shop, everything is much better. Apparently the first shop only used static balancing, and 3/4 tires were not balanced correctly. Spacers and wheels are torqued to spec now. I think the steering still has a tiny amount of vibration feel at highway speeds, but I'm comparing going from a stock all season to a bigger AT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom