VI to Edmonton and back in BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have three best buddies from high school and we’re all turning 40 within a year of each other and so we figured we’d do a single get together to celebrate in Edmonton where one of them lives.

The BJ74 will be the transport vehicle. All 120hp of the 13BT coupled with the autoslushbox will be put through its paces.

I’ll be picking the first guy up in Langley, then the second in Lumby, and then on to Edmonton.

I have full recovery gear, siped Toyo MT’s, extra belts and fluids, tools, etc. I’ll do an oil change before I leave and check coolant condition (was replaced last year with HD commercial grade pink stuff), hoses and belts.

Anybody have any recommendations for such a highway journey during this time of year?

I imagine it will be painfully slow on inclines so we’ll just shlunk along like a determined little turtle.

I’ll take pics along the way and post any interesting ones afterwards.

Cheers!

Have a good trip. With lots of weight you can afford to put the tire pressure up a bit. Try to find that perfect rpm for the long uphill grades, get a consistent throttle. I just saw how dry it is up through the interior so should be nice once you are past the coq. With the snow they are having I’d run the Fraser Canyon myself. It’s a whole extra 60 Kms and more enjoyable.
Extra windshield washer fluid, but you can get that anywhere. I wish I was going, and I would but Teri would be severely pissed if I bailed and left her in the dark with 5 gas cans for the generator and a wave!

Text me if you break down and need a part. I’ve got a starter and altternator here should you need. Everything else you should be able to hold together with bailing wire

Thanks cruiserpilot! I had my starter rebuilt a couple months ago so that should hold nicely. The auction hills can be a pain. I’ll likely be in 2nd on a few of those Coq hills if not even 1st at times.

The one nice thing about low HP is the tires tend to slip less when you put your foot into it :)

Good call on the extra washer fluid! I’ve got lots of bailing wire on board so I shouldn’t need any that way ;)

40...riiiight.

I believe you. Thousands wouldn't :flipoff2:

Take some steak spice and a bbq, so when it goes all donner party in a mountain pass you don't have to rough it too badly.

6524FA1D-5F27-4969-852B-A7B5D7F00BF6.jpeg
03226D12-D593-4CA2-8813-300D962F7152.jpeg

Seapotato, you caught me, I’m the oldest so I’m already 41 :)

Ziplock with a few ribeyes marinating wouldn’t be the first time!

Make sure you run the right weight engine oil for the temps you'll be seeing. Last time I went to the interior at this time of year caught me starting my motor at -27C with 15W40 only to have cam bearing flakes in my oil afterwards. This because the oil was so thick at that temperature it wasn't reaching the cam bearings for a while. Maybe go with a 5W40 or something?

A stock 13BT in decent shape I thought would move you along faster than what you're estimating. I suppose the A440 doesn't help much though. Maybe time for a manual boost controller when you get back. :) (Don't want to mess with this sort of stuff right before a trip).

8C69EED1-9183-4267-BA8B-7C7C9F6DE93B.png

Thanks GTSS...looks like temps for when we’ll be there (30th-2nd) are only a bit cold the first two days.

I use Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w40 year round (because it’s currently free) which apparently may not be a full synthetic.

Question: Would putting a full synthetic like Rotella 5w40 be a bad thing for the ‘ol 13BT for this trip?

Temps look pretty mild but the forecast could change! Does your rig have a block heater? Those magnet oil pan heaters work pretty good to get the oil flowing right away if you want to leave the 15w-40 in it. Nothing worse than finally getting something started when it's minus 40 and waiting for the oil pressure to register. Extension cord? Tarp? Make sure the wiper blades are good?
Also after seeing what the road salt does to vehicles and your going to take the prized 74 on the highways I would spray the s*** out of the under body before you leave ,with fluid film,rust-cure-formula-3000 or something to protect it then wash it real well when you get back. My 45 stays in the garage for the winter and doesn't come back out until spring after all the salt is washed off the roads.

Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas

Well, after taking it over with the wife I think I’m gonna drive the Pilot instead of the Cruiser.

Reasons are:

1. Already has the correct oil for cold conditions.

2. Has a block heater.

3. Can do the speed limit easily.

4. Because of #3 it will be cheaper on fuel. Average 12L/100km. Cruiser can do better when it’s not loaded and on mostly flat surfaces, but that’s not the case for this trip.

5. Roomier and more comfortable.

6. Has designated Blizzak winter tires so no worries about that.

7. Cruise control.

So yeah, as much as I want to do a road trip in the Cruiser, I think the Pilot will be better for this trip.

Well, sheesh. Don’t let common sense and fear hold you back. Just kidding. The fuel costs difference alone will make the difference, not to mention conversation and hearing the music.
Have a good trip. J

Bring plenty of gas jugs.
Regular is around $0.90 in Ed right now. The samish in Calgary.
Warning, the AB carbon tax goes up on Jan 1 I think. About 4 cents /l.
Get enough and it will pay for the trip.

If you take the cruiser most importantly take lots of pictures and post them here! If you take the pilot don’t bother :p haha just bugging!

Last edited:
Well, this thread got lame.

I think the thread name should be changed to something more appropriate for the lameness.

Maybe something like, " I chickened out from driving my cruiser to edmonton, and am now leaving my testicles behind in my wife's dresser drawer and driving an indescribably lame honda product instead. If you see me please don't take pictures so that I can at least have a chance to live long enough to forget all this, and overcome the shame. "

:flipoff2:

I don't actually blame you tho, I tried to drive an 80 series to edmonton once. Made it as far as calgary before a bearing disintegrated in my front end, taking out most of the knuckle. The trouble with driving all night in a soundproof box.

I ended up doing the leg to edmonton in a borrowed BJ70 that was so rusty even Graham would have been scared of it. That trip was the straw the made me sell the 80 after only a few months.

Twas the night before Christmas and all through this group
There was sadness cuz Peezed's journey is turning to poop
Twas a guys trip with many trips to the boozer
But instead this Pilot will turn it to a looser
No stories, no beer spilt all over the floor
No multible pit stops and vomit galore
No pics of repair jobs on the side of the road
As your buddies drink beer just to lighten the load
But your Pilot will make it to Edmonton just fine
And when you get there your mates will break out the mulled wine
MERRY CHRISTMAS

This is so rad! Thanks guys...and Seapotato, my testicles are of no use anymore as it stands so the decision was that much easier ;)

I’ll make sure to post all the pics of me passing LandCruiser’s along the way

This is so rad! Thanks guys...and Seapotato, my testicles are of no use anymore as it stands so the decision was that much easier ;)

I’ll make sure to post all the pics of me passing LandCruiser’s along the way

Haha tmi man...

Heaping abuse with rhyme makes it sound so much more pleasant . I'd try it but there's only so many things that rhyme with duck :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom