VGRS - Replaced VGRS Actuator - VSC/TRAC/VGRS Lights still on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my VGRS Actuator replaced at the Lexus Dealership with a part I purchased from UAE (Brand new in Toyota packaging)

The Lexus dealership installed the part but the VSC/TRAC/VGRS lights are still on. The Foreman also has an LX and tried swapping in his VGRS ECU, same issues.

At this point I've dropped $1800 on the part and $600 on labour - Lexus initially diagnosed the truck as requiring a new VGRS actuator.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

It's at the Lexus Dealer - so I assume they're fully equipped. Would you like me to ask which code it's throwing?

The new VGRS actuator is giving the same code as the old one - which Lexus has indicated says 'the VGRS actuator is bad' - nothing else could be the problem according to them. I suspect my old VGRS actuator is actually fine and the problem exists somewhere else.

It's at the Lexus Dealer - so I assume they're fully equipped. Would you like me to ask which code it's throwing?

The new VGRS actuator is giving the same code as the old one - which Lexus has indicated says 'the VGRS actuator is bad' - nothing else could be the problem according to them. I suspect my old VGRS actuator is actually fine and the problem exists somewhere else.

This is where I'd have a chat with the manager. If they mis-diagnosed something they would hopefully take a "we're in this together now" stance and work with you on all further labor costs and parts costs to find the real culprit. It gets more complicated if you brought them a part, but still... Lexus is known for exceptional customer service and this is the sort of ordeal I'd expect them to really shine compared to your typical dealer service department.

So here's the deal:

Lexus diagnosed a faulty VGRS Actuator - this was a mistake
Apparenty the flow charts and troubleshooting steps all pointed to the VGRS actuator directly
Lexus HQ asked for data points to be uploaded
They now think the VGRS ECU is the culprit

So I'm out $1800 on a perfectly good actuator, and they want me to pay the labour to install it. I asked for them to waive the labour. The Service Manager admitted if I paid $4500 for their VGRS actuator and the same scenario occured, Lexus would cover the parts and labour since it didn't resolve the issue.

So here's the deal:

Lexus diagnosed a faulty VGRS Actuator - this was a mistake
Apparenty the flow charts and troubleshooting steps all pointed to the VGRS actuator directly
Lexus HQ asked for data points to be uploaded
They now think the VGRS ECU is the culprit

So I'm out $1800 on a perfectly good actuator, and they want me to pay the labour to install it. I asked for them to waive the labour. The Service Manager admitted if I paid $4500 for their VGRS actuator and the same scenario occured, Lexus would cover the parts and labour since it didn't resolve the issue.
Wow man what a rip off. Good luck.

Diagnostic work is difficult, time consuming and a bit of and "art". To often a tech stops, at first point in tree, without really checking the component tree pointed to. They assume. But even when they really drill down, it can get to point of putting in a part and see what happens.

Bringing in your own part, then asking them to install. Lets them off the hook for install labor (never covered) and part.

If they are now willing to install the ECU and see if that works and only charge if it does. I think that is more than fair.

20001LC is on the money.

Lexus would not cover anything - contacted Lexus of Canada service and same deal. No surprise but worth a shot.

If anyones interested, I have a perfectly good used VGRS actuator for sale...

20001LC is on the money.

Lexus would not cover anything - contacted Lexus of Canada service and same deal. No surprise but worth a shot.

If anyones interested, I have a perfectly good used VGRS actuator for sale...

Was it Lexus of Calgary or Lexus of Royal Oak here in NW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom