Very random death wobble (1 Viewer)

Ive been around 60's for 10 years now and should be able to solve this but Im pulling my hair out.
I have a SOA truck on 37's. It had been some time since I had my wheels rotated and balanced.
When I did that finally, I started getting some death wobble around 40-50 but on mostly flat somewhat smooth surfaces. Never had this problem before. Since then I have had them checked and balanced 6 times and put back they way they were(wheels/tires). Ive checked the front end for issues(bearings, tie rods etc and everything seems tight. Had a shop look at it as well, two different ones. So I'm still randomly getting it. Could it be worn out shocks? Tires and shocks are well over 8 plus years old. I'm not sure what else to look for:bang::bang:

Old Man Emu. Been on there since I bought the truck over 8 years ago. Hard to tell when those go bad? Guess I should yank it off and test.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Have you had an alignment done to see what your caster / camber / toe numbers are at?

When your tires were rotated did they do front to rear, side to side, or both?

My bet is on uneven tire wear.

They did front to rear. One wheel was very unbalanced that went to the rear(has a little tire wear that doesnt match the other front). One coming from rear to front was off as well.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
How many miles ago was the rotation?

Start with moving the tires back to where they were pre-rotation. I'd bet that the tires are worn unevenly, like rear tires cupped or something, which is causing the problem. I'm constantly chasing a random wobble (wouldn't call it death wobble) and I attribute it to tire wear, since I'm always changing my tires around.

I moved everything back, still having the problem, however they rebalanced all the wheels which as I mentioned one on the front needed a lot of weight to balance and that tire is worn more. Tire shop said they are cupping. Maybe thats it.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
On 8" wide rims, 10" wide rims, 12" wide rims or something else entirely? What tire pressure do you run in all tires?

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Cupping is a pretty big red flag. I don't have personal experience, but I see several types of dynamic balancing devices (Dyna beads, airsoft pellets, etc) recommended to greatly reduce said cupping. The traditional rim weights we're used to reach their limits pretty quickly when tire sizes grow or wheel designs don't ideally match the tires and/or vehicle (lateral imbalance). Research keeping the wheel weights and adding a few oz of whatever dynamic balance product sounds best to you.

I probably need new tires. What its coming down to. Being they no longer make 37 12.5 15 Im looking at wheel cost too.

Crick60

Mr Crick
I had a similar problem but without the mods you've done. Turned out to be incorrect shock length and one very dead shock.

Its at 40-50? Does it get worse at 60 or 70 or go away? Is the wobble coming through the steering wheel or just mostly the chassis? Have the tires balanced at a different shop, maybe a poplular tire shop like discount or firestone that has a good balancer. Are your u-bolts tight? How bout your steering arm and knuckle nuts? Methodically check everything is torqued down. Check driveshaft u joints and slip joints for slop. Your shocks could be shot too, you have to pull them off to test them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom