Very Newbie questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:-\ ???
I've had my cruiser for awhile now (6 years). It is a stock 70 FJ-40. I have questions concerning: 1.) Disc brake conversion and 2.) upgrading to 4-speed tranny. Here goes:

1.)To go to 4-wheel disc do I need a new master cylinder/booster? I have a dual MC (front and rear). I already have the mini parts to do the front and am currently in the process of aquiring the parts for the rear. The MC and the proportioning valve are my dilema at this moment. I've read and read but no clear anwsers.

2.)I am buying a 4-speed transmission (used - will have rebuilt). Can i mate it to my 3-speed transfercase? Do i need a 4-speed transfer case?

I know I need to do more reading but any help would be really, really appreciated. On a side note my cruiser is a daily driver and I plan to do some mild off-road. Thanks in advance for your help.

did you check the technical links section on this site? v. helpful and i think your answers are in there....

[quote author=CruiserFlips link=board=1;threadid=4176;start=0#msg30896 date=1060285340]
1.)To go to 4-wheel disc do I need a new master cylinder/booster? I have a dual MC (front and rear). I already have the mini parts to do the front and am currently in the process of aquiring the parts for the rear. The MC and the proportioning valve are my dilema at this moment. I've read and read but no clear anwsers.[/quote]

you can keep your existing master, but must pull the residual pressure valves. See the tech section. Recommend a master upgrade, IIRC, a 93 FJ80 master bolts up and works great, $80 or so from a autodroid store. Pro valve is recommended, may not be needed wth the FJ80 master. I don't run one with my setup, use a 77 master with the resid valve out, but 99% trail use.

2.)I am buying a 4-speed transmission (used - will have rebuilt). Can i mate it to my 3-speed transfercase? Do i need a 4-speed transfer case?

3-speed = 10-spline input gear, 4-speed = 16 spline.
Need to purchase the 74 adapter gear ($100 or so), a spacer, and the Datsun B210 bearing. See Cruiser facts for the p/n.

Thanks for the input fellas. Off to the parts store I go.

TPI used to sell a kit to adapt the 4 speed to a 3 speed tcase. Something like $200 for the bearing, a spacer, a seal, and the hard to find (new) gear. U'll also need the 4 speed tcase bolts. I'll sell ya a good used 4 speed tcase for $175, and help you on shipping. msmythe@iei.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom