Very bad oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey about a week ago I found a very large puddle of oil beneath my 62. When I start the engine, it starts dripping like crazy from a spot on the oil pan gasket line. I know that the gasket needs to be replaced and I'm just wondering if I ought to take it to a mechanic or can this be a do it yourself job?

Make sure it isn't coming down from the oil galley plug in the head on the passenger side. If it is, your engine is teetering on blowing out the oil and seizing.

Last edited:
Check the bottom of you fuel pump. When they go out sometimes it's the diaphragm in there goes then the oil goes out a weep hole on the bottom of the pump. If not sure "bag" the bottom of the pump fire her up and see if the oil gathers in the bag..

I've tracked a few hard to find oil leaks down by spraying suspect areas with brake cleaner and wipe it down. Fire er up and watch where the oil comes from.

Good luck.

Hey about a week ago I found a very large puddle of oil beneath my 62. When I start the engine, it starts dripping like crazy from a spot on the oil pan gasket line. I know that the gasket needs to be replaced and I'm just wondering if I ought to take it to a mechanic or can this be a do it yourself job?

It's a do it yourself deal. Part of Cruiser ownership. Read the
threads on doing it for some good tips.

Mine leaked like crazy (1qt/150miles) I snugged up the panbolts
and that was it. I'd try that first. Not real tight, just snug+1/2 turn.

I had the same deal so I checked the pan bolts and a few of them were ready to fall right out. Tightened them up and low and behold, it quit leaking! I'd check that out first and then go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom