For Sale Vermont -1975 FJ40 FST with 25K miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Red
1975 Toyota FJ40 Factory Soft top from California 100% Rust free with no rust repair ever. No rust underneath. This is a rare unrestored US Spec factory soft top with only 25,718 original miles One amazing repaint several years ago and a few tasteful updates and the rest is original. New springs, tires and Bilstein shocks. New wheel cylinders and brake hoses recently installed. Properly jetted and matched Holley 2bbl with high flow air cleaner. The original air cleaner is included. Long tube header with high flow exhaust with catalytic converter, virtually eliminating cabin fumes. Even the engine hoses and the headlights are original. The CA emission system is still intact. This is the last year for the factory soft top and the first year for the desirable 2F engine. Factory equipped with double wall armored fuel tank for safety. Runs and drives like new! Comes with newer factory style soft top and bikini top. Not to be compared to the Central American imported junk restorations! Email for pictures. This site will not allow me to upload images. $42,500 or best offer.

I am always curious why a truck with perhaps 20K miles at the time need to be repainted? Is there solid provenance on the mileage? Are there photos before and after paint? Any service history with mileage noted?

I am always curious why a truck with perhaps 20K miles at the time need to be repainted? Is there solid provenance on the mileage? Are there photos before and after paint? Any service history with mileage noted?
It was painted when I bought it 3 years ago. None of the interior or under the hood is painted. Maybe it didn't need paint.

pics

untitled.jpeg

untitled-2-2.jpeg

untitled-16.jpeg

untitled-17.jpeg

untitled-21-2.jpeg

pics

untitled-30.jpeg

untitled-33.jpeg

untitled-34.jpeg

untitled-35.jpeg

pics

untitled-37.jpeg

untitled-6-2.jpeg

untitled-7.jpeg

untitled-9.jpeg

untitled-11.jpeg

What Month does the plate say it was manufactured?

VIN?

Spare on passenger side for a 75?

Last edited:
Is that OEM air cleaner for a 75?

What Month does the plate say it was manufactured?

VIN?

Spare on passenger side for a 75?

The OEM air cleaner is a 1975 air cleaner.
I have owned 3 75's and the spare was the same.
January 1975
FJ40192188

Nice looking truck.
I have a 75 fst as well. Random question but can you tell me where the interior light is? That’s one mystery I’m trying to solve on mine. Assuming it’s on the b pillar bow drivers side. I have aftermarket bows so not sure.

Correct - spare on the passenger side. I believe that’s specific to an fst.

Also if you purchase a silver star you can post as many pics as you want

Last edited:
@upperblack do you have the same air cleaner assembly? never seen one like that before

with the bracket off the radiator mount it just doesn't look stock

@upperblack do you have the same air cleaner assembly? never seen one like that before

No mine is a regular 2f air cleaner and it’s original to the truck.

Nice looking truck.
I have a 75 fst as well. Random question but can you tell me where the interior light is? That’s one mystery I’m trying to solve on mine. Assuming it’s on the b pillar bow drivers side. I have aftermarket bows so not sure.

Correct - spare on the passenger side. I believe that’s specific to an fst.

Also if you purchase a silver star you can post as many pics as you want

I see the wire for the light above the windshield but no light.

that air cleaner is from an early Bronco. I needed something that would fit the carb with enough flow. I have the original one too.

that air cleaner is from an early Bronco. I needed something that would fit the carb with enough flow. I have the original one too.

I just read thru the first post, it was stated in there, I just went to the pics.

what is this double walled armored gas tank?

were cats installed in CA in 1975?

I just read thru the first post, it was stated in there, I just went to the pics.

what is this double walled armored gas tank?

were cats installed in CA in 1975?

Some FJ40’s had the armor cover over the tank but I never figured out if it was standard on some or an option. It is definitely a good thing to have. I think the cats started around 77. It is a game changer if you already have the air pump. No fumes!

Some FJ40’s had the armor cover over the tank but I never figured out if it was standard on some or an option. It is definitely a good thing to have. I think the cats started around 77. It is a game changer if you already have the air pump. No fumes!

the gas tank shield over the gas tank started in 1973 thru 1978, that is what holds the gas tank in place, there are no straps that secure the tank, just the shield over the top bolted in the rear, front and outside edge.
seems strange someone adding a cat when it is not needed, a properly running engine should not need one

the gas tank shield over the gas tank started in 1973 thru 1978, that is what holds the gas tank in place, there are no straps that secure the tank, just the shield over the top bolted in the rear, front and outside edge.
seems strange someone adding a cat when it is not needed, a properly running engine should not need one
Thanks. It is odd that the tank shield is missing on so many. It seems strange that you have an issue with adding a cat. It makes it much cleaner burning. All FST’s have fume issues - except this one.

Uggh, who put that awful top on there! haha, only half-kidding

I purchased this FST in 2014 from Manheim Riverside California. Had it shipped to South Carolina. After I purchased it I tracked down the original owner, very old guy, who had owned and used it in the Sierra Nevadas to go gem hunting or gem mining or something. The approximately 25k miles was accurate. It was still on the original tires when I got it. It had been repainted, pretty well, but had a black aftermarket soft top. Upholstery had been redone, also pretty well in my opinion. I immediately replaced the black bestow with a proper Trollhole FST in WHITE, with nice gray trim and straps that matched the other gray accents. I posted it on here for sale, but just got the usual tire kickers and nit pickers. I then installed the suspension lift and 33s. I pulled the factory winch bumper with 8274 and installed an OEM gray bumper. I sold it at Mecum Kissimmee January 2015

The rear quarters had been trimmed and flares installed when I bought it, it looks like someone addressed that. But it was a solid, very rust free, mostly original low mileage FST in a great color. Looked much better with the white top though.

Circa 2014-2015...

with the original tires....

IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_3011.JPG

Yep, the factory door straps went with it, as well as oem air cleaner and some other original parts.

That thing wasn't just a "head-turner" it was a Neck-Breaker!

Whats left of my original thread....

For Sale - 1975 FJ40 FST not for sale

Last edited:
As you probably know, mileage doesn't necessarily have any connection to the condition or "age" of the paint. High mileage cars can have great paint if they are stored and kept out of the elements. Low mileage cars can have terrible paint if left out in the weather, especially lots of sunlight. This one had spent its life in the high and dry desert of the Sierra Nevadas and so I assumed it was pretty weathered, and thus paint faded and thats why the original owner, or his son if I remember correctly, had it painted and the upholstery redone and had a new black bestop put on, which I trashed.

@studawg- Nice. I like both of its ST colors.

@VToldcars - just curious. Do you have another member name on MUD? Only 7 posts, but you’ve owned 3 1975 40’s?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom