Verdict on non-OME shocks with OME springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the spirit of some relatively recent posts that try to consolidate opinions, what is the consensus for using non-OME shocks (Bilstein, Edlebrock, etc) with OME springs (particularly the 2.5" Heavy lift)?

I know there are supposedly some length issues with the Bilsteins, but does anyone have any direct experience? What about the Edlebrocks?

Hayes

Hayes,
Glad you posted this. I am also interested in hearing about Edlebrocks.

Hayes;

This is slightly off the subject, but I run the Edlebrock shocks with stock suspension and really like the combo. These shocks are a real seat of the pants fix to the rolling/pitching of the stock system.

They have been on for 6 years and still work great.

I will keep them when I go for the OME spring upgrade.

Gumby said:
I am a fan of the OEM with OME. You loose a little droop, but the ride is much smoother.

What lift are you running with OEM shocks? Landtank and I installed the OME Heavies on mine recently and we could get the OEM shocks in the rear .... but there was NO way to get the OEM fronts in with those springs, so I ended up putting on some used OME's until I can get new ones.

:cheers:

I have run the Edlebrock IAS shocks with the stock springs and now with the OME medium 2.5" lift. The Edlebrock shocks are listed for up to a 3" lift yet as I posted in another thread, they slightly shorter than the OME. However I want to get my friends over here and pull off his OME shocks and do a side by side.

As far as the shocks go, I've been happy with the Edlebrock, the only downfall is the price. They have excellent warrenty service (lifetime), as I had to send a rear shock back due to some leaking. Within 2 weeks of sending the rear pair out I received my new shocks. I figured with shipping, they had about a 1 day turn around on my claim.

The street ride is absolutely great with these shocks, they do still have some lean in corners but nothing close to the stock setup. I found the OME to handle really flat around coners yet very rough on the street.

Off-road the Edlebrock shocks are even better! These shocks shine in high speed off-road driving. I just took the 80 down to the coast a few weeks ago and could not belive the soomthness running down the beach. I usally take my truck or 4runner and get beat to death over the ruts and washouts. The 80 made them seem like they weren't even there!

I am a fan of monotube shocks (like Bilstein) versus twin tube shocks (like OME). This is due to durability, ride performance and simplicity.

I have to no direct experience with OME shocks.

I really like my set up. OME springs HD front and MD rear with Bilstein shocks. Good control at speed (off road) and comfy yet firm ride (on road). The truck might not flex as much as with OME shocks, but this hasn't hurt my off roading yet.

Also, I am a bit leery about Edelbrock shocks. They use a very complicated valve pack with their IAS valving. I have ridden them on a non-cruiser and was not impressed.

Fochdog said:
I really like my set up. OME springs HD front and MD rear with Bilstein shocks. Good control at speed (off road) and comfy yet firm ride (on road). The truck might not flex as much as with OME shocks, but this hasn't hurt my off roading yet..

Which Bil's are you running?

B46-1477 (front) & B46-1478 (rear)

Fochdog said:
B46-1477 (front) & B46-1478 (rear)

Looks like you are running heavy fronts with medium rears, so I would assume I could fit those with my heavy/heavy setup. Were these a special order item?

Montana Cruiser said:
Were these a special order item?

The shocks are the 80 series replacements from Bilstein and are not special order.

If you ran a lightly loaded vehicle with heavy rear OME springs you will be about one inch higher than me. This might be a little low on the rebound travel side.

If you load the truck as intended with the Heavy Duty springs
(i.e. bumpers front and rear, sliders and gear in back) you would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom