Vehicle weight and mpg numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Not much technical info here, but some might find this useful.

I was at our manufacturing plant near Sandusky, OH this past week and a chance to weigh my rig using the plant's scale. Unfortunately, they have one single plate so I'm not able to separate the weight between axles.

Total weight is 6300 lbs.

Contents: two full tanks of gas (38 gallons), one recovery box (75 lbs), ARB front bumper with 10,000 lb winch, dual batts, one York, Slee Tcase skid (18 lbs?) rear bumper with tire carrier + spare (175 lbs), sliders with nerf bars (120 lbs total), 315 75 Geo AT tires, my fat ass of 155 lbs :flipoff2:, middle row seats. Oh yeah, one Cannondale road bike (whopping 20 lbs), misc luggage (50 lbs)

Avg mpg was 14 with A/C on, vehicle in 4wd mode (front driveshaft + oem hub flanges). I went 325 miles on one tank before I turned chicken and transferred fuel from the aux tank :eek:

Ali

Last edited:
Interesting data points are possible here.

I used to have it in my sig line but I weighed my rig recently and came up with 5500 pounds almost exactly. It was actually 5505 or something but I rounded. That was with an empty vehicle (not my normal recovery and repair kit riding along). Most of my equip is in my sig line so you can see heavy sliders, ARB non-winch (yea yea dont get me started), some other skids, full tank of gas (single stock tank), and third row seats removed.

Average city is 16 - 18 depending on how hard I am on the gas pedal.

Keep em coming, I think we've done an average MPG thread before but not one correlating that to weight??? :cool:

My 93 weighs 5300lbs almost exactly with just me, third seats and a half tank of gas. The 97 is about 110lbs heavier though I've only taken it to the dump once (scale in and out).

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
My 93 weighs 5300lbs almost exactly with just me, third seats and a half tank of gas. The 97 is about 110lbs heavier though I've only taken it to the dump once (scale in and out).

DougM

Okay, good numbers, what's the mileage?

will be interesting to read.
however, there are many other factors besides weight that will affect mpg, of course, so this won't mean too much as far as statistical validity.
But fun, anyway.

turbo, 16-18 seems rather high for city driving. Are there only freeways in your city, no streetlight?

e9999 said:
will be interesting to read.
however, there are many other factors besides weight that will affect mpg, of course, so this won't mean too much as far as statistical validity.
But fun, anyway.

turbo, 16-18 seems rather high for city driving. Are there only freeways in your city, no streetlight?

No, although highway speeds in city might matter??? :D Seriously, lots of stop and go in my city as well as everyone elses AFAIK, actual highway driving average is 18 to as high as 22 once but that was an agonizingly slow 60 mph trip.

You are correct that there are so many other factors but still, I do not remember ever doing a weight of rig vs. mileage of rig thread. Although, all things being equal, I prolly shouldn't have even posted because even Safari advertises INCREASED mileage after adding their turbo. Not really an apples to apples anyway but my info is even more different. HTH.

turbocruiser said:
No, although highway speeds in city might matter??? :D Seriously, lots of stop and go in my city as well as everyone elses AFAIK, actual highway driving average is 18 to as high as 22 once but that was an agonizingly slow 60 mph trip.

You are correct that there are so many other factors but still, I do not remember ever doing a weight of rig vs. mileage of rig thread. Although, all things being equal, I prolly shouldn't have even posted because even Safari advertises INCREASED mileage after adding their turbo. Not really an apples to apples anyway but my info is even more different. HTH.

your numbers seem to be so much higher than just about everybody else...
amazing that a turbo would make such a difference.

(These are not imperial gallons are they? and you're not running 28" tires, right? :D)

Weight does not seem to make a difference on mpg on my junk.

Last year GNP at this time GVW#7080, 4300 miles logged 13.5 mpg

Moab this year I'm guessing #600-#700 less GVW, 1200 miles logged 13.5 mpg

Ali what is the difference in mpg 2WD vs 4WD

e9999 said:
your numbers seem to be so much higher than just about everybody else...
amazing that a turbo would make such a difference.

(These are not imperial gallons are they? and you're not running 28" tires, right? :D)

No, check out the sig line, not 28", try 33" at about 36 to 38psi normally, and yes, regular US gallons, always Shell premium grade gasoline with a can of BG44K about every 5K and a can of BG SuperCharge every third or fourth tank of gas.

As I read and reread what I wrote, I think I am accidentally alittle misleading in the sense that these numbers are not actually accurate averages for ALL the driving I do. They are only the numbers I get when I'm really trying really hard to conserve gas and accelerate slowly especially off the line. When I'm working the rig hard I regularly get 12.5 mpg but then again that is misleading in the sense that when I say I'm "really working the rig" I'm talking insane sprints up steep gravel grades so that too is atypical of typical driving. In any event, I think what I will do is record my averages over the course of one month with everything from city to highway to Pikes Peak sprints in there and perhaps that will mean more than saying I regularly get 16 to 18 mpg. But in any event even the PO told me that he experienced increased mileage after the turbo install and he seemed pretty smart and pretty savy about these things. I know Safari advertises increased mileage but I do not recall whether they advertise HOW MUCH increase? Anyways, I'll do a better job recording "average" numbers and post em up later to see. HTH :cheers:

Turbo,

Didn't post MPG numbers as I think it's worth noting that tossing these around when the various parties are using different conditions (%highway/city, altitude, driving habits, etc) to come up with them is just flapping gums. I've gotten as high as 16.7 on an all freeway trip to as low as 11.2 on a hot and heavy towing tank. All stock, all synthetic, always in good tune with fresh air filter, etc, etc.

DougM

Guess I will have to find a place to weigh in at, but the gas thing...
I get about 11.5 in the city, and if I am real lucky I can get 14 on freeway , both #'s are with the AC cranking. That is with an uncorrected speedo gear.

97 cruiser

On my 97 fj80, I get about 17 on the highway. That is with a k and N air filter and a custom flowmaster exhaust. Before that I got about 15. By the way, thats also with stock suspension and tires.

Just got 500 miles on 38.3 gallons = 13 mpg, on a fast drive through the hills with OD off and PWR on, 5 adults, a 3 yr old and a full cooler on board.

Will check the weight at the tip this weekend.

David

OK- I just got back from the tip where my OZ 80 weighed in at 2.55 tons. As mentioned above I got 13 mpg on a fast drive through hill country with OD off and most seats filled.

OZCAL said:
OK- I just got back from the tip where my OZ 80 weighed in at 2.55 tons. As mentioned above I got 13 mpg on a fast drive through hill country with OD off and most seats filled.

these the regular kind of gallons and miles or the Aussie ones?

My '93 is completely stock. It weighs in at 5,160 lbs. with a full tank of gas,
the third row seats removed, and nobody in the truck.
On a recent trip from Calif back to Nevada, I recorded 17.11 MPG driving
up the Sierras and the AC on for the entire trip. I also only drove about
68-69 MPH.

97 Cruiser

I seem to be getting the worst mpg on here! I have a 97 Cruiser (LX450) and got about 10 mpg last tank, all downtown city driving. I don't even have a lift and am running A/T (285/60 R18). On the highway, I get no better than 13 mpg, usually less than 250 miles. I guess I either need a tune up or need to keep my foot off the gas! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

SHarr5184 said:
I seem to be getting the worst mpg on here! I have a 97 Cruiser (LX450) and got about 10 mpg last tank, all downtown city driving. I don't even have a lift and am running A/T (285/60 R18). On the highway, I get no better than 13 mpg, usually less than 250 miles. I guess I either need a tune up or need to keep my foot off the gas! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

nope, it's the bling 18" wheels. LCs don't like those, they rebel! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom