Vehicle purchase in Nevada, Told tile can be had in California? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brewsterfire

Brewster
SILVER Star
Threads
Purchased vehicle with Bill of sale in Nevada.
Seller said it is easy to go to California DMV service office to obtain a title.
Says Nevada is more difficult.
I need title to export to Canada.

Any experience with this? Help would be greatly appreciated!

did you already buy it?
could be a can of worms for you especially cause you are not local and over the border.
the owner should have provided a title for the rig.
if it is so easy, he should have done it.
here in Montana, if the vehicle is valued at less than $500, you fill the paperwork out and can get a title for it
value over $500 you are to get a bonded title for 3 years.

I live in CA and find it very interesting someone would say CA is easier than NV. CA is a major headache even if all paperwork is legit. I spent two hours last week at DMV because the lady renewing my registration on my 40 couldn’t find it in her system. Long story short I can comfortably say there is no possible way CA could be easier than NV.

my WAG would be the PO got this rig many years ago and either never got a title then or got a title and never transferred it and lost it and now has no proof he owns it.
this gets very questionable, as it all needs to be on the up and up especially to get it across the border.
in my state someone with a badge needs to inspect the vin and check if it's stolen, then he/she fills out the piece of paper to bring to DMV

I live in CA and find it very interesting someone would say CA is easier than NV. CA is a major headache even if all paperwork is legit. I spent two hours last week at DMV because the lady renewing my registration on my 40 couldn’t find it in her system. Long story short I can comfortably say there is no possible way CA could be easier than NV.
My first thought was nothing is easier in California...

You will have to smog it to get the title if it is 74 and up, I've heard city's need dyno testing too. Everything will have to be verified.

Sounds like there may be back fees owed in Nevada? Ca has an online fee lookup/calculation tool, I don't know about Nv.

The california DMV will laugh you out the front door trying to title a unregistered out of state vehicle to a person who lives in Canada. That literally throws up EVERY red flag in the system, the only thing missing would be if it had come from a junk salvage title as well.

If it was originally from NV the previous registered owner needs to contact Nevada dmv and ask for a replacement title to be issued. if not HE in person can apply for a Bonded title from NV.
You can start by calling the Department’s Title Research Section, in Carson City, (775) 684-4810. They are the only outlet that can do that search in the state.

All of the major city CA DMVs are PITAs. Depending on which part of CA you're in, Ridgecrest or Arvin would be your "easiest" visits. With/Without an appointment, I've been in/out of Ridgecrest's office within 20 minutes, DL work, tags, kids for their learner's permits, only visits more than 20 minutes, has been kids behind the wheel tests. I'd do a lot of research on this before you go and end up wasting your time at CA DMV.

^^ha ha ive been to the ridgecrest dmv!

Hopefully it goes better for ya than this guy

^^ha ha ive been to the ridgecrest dmv!

Hopefully it goes better for ya than this guy

How do you figure?

I pretty much just threw that out there as a cautionary tale. I came across it in a search and thought it was interesting enough to share. I have been driving through the burned out town of paradise everyday.

There is a ton of things that could go south on a bill of sale only purchase..
That being said I sold a fj45lv to a collector a couple years ago with only a DMV statement of facts and I never heard back from him I so guess it worked out ok.

I've also declared (with a statement of facts) a 86 4runner a to be collector's vehicle with ca DMV and had 10 years back fees refunded per VC 4604 paragraph B

Op you might try a statement of facts. I've been lucky with old motorcycles before, but it's really up to the mood of the DMV employee. I had the head guy in my local office tell me nobody collects Toyota's. I told him he was wrong and filed the paperwork with the head office in Sacramento, a month later a check for $700 showed up from the DMV.

Good luck

So update, checked out vehicle. Not what I needed, pretty rough would make a good Offroad cruiser. No OEM vin plates. Seller refunded my funds. In Nevada resident owner and vehicle in state, can get a bonded title. Not sure about California, never got that far.
U.S. customs requires a vehicle title for export. This apparently changed 5 years back.
I was not aware of the US Customs change at the time of purchase.
Lost travel $ but glad it is resolved for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom