Vehicle pricing trend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a general question regarding thoughts on LC pricing as the economy has seen the highest inflation in many many years. For a lot of people purchasing a land cruiser comes from disposable income or possibly financing and with the price of EVERYTHING going nuts disposable income is probably shrinking and the cost of borrowing money has gone up.

This is NOT a political discussion nor do I pose this question to incite one. This is purely a market question coming from a future 40 buyer. Will the market soften?

Thoughts? TYIA

It's not just land cruisers, it's been happening with cars for decades, 60s-80s 4x4's are hot and will likely hold for years to come. This happened with 911s about 8 years ago and continues to grow. You couldn't sell an impact bumper targa or 912, ever. Now you are luckky to find those for less than 30k in good running shape. Anticipate similar growth.

In the last month or two, I see a lot of pricing softness on Bring a Trailer. I think the ultra-hot-stupid-pricing FJ40/FJ60 days are behind us.

This is purely a market question coming from a future 40 buyer. Will the market soften?

I think if you look hard and study the market, you can find an under-market one where you won't lose money immediately. I wouldn't ever really consider a restored FJ40 an investment in a pure sense.

In the last month or two, I see a lot of pricing softness on Bring a Trailer. I think the ultra-hot-stupid-pricing FJ40/FJ60 days are behind us.

This is purely a market question coming from a future 40 buyer. Will the market soften?

I think if you look hard and study the market, you can find an under-market one where you won't lose money immediately. I wouldn't ever really consider a restored FJ40 an investment in a pure sense.
Thanks for the input. Definitely not an investment. The only thing getting invested in an LC is time, money, blood, sweat, tears, pain, etc. for the satisfaction of driving a really cool vehicle 😁

In 2011 I bought a one owner 1970 FJ40 fir $10,000. Prior to the great recession it would have sold for a lot more. I originally tried to help sell and $10K was at the top of the current value at that time. Just like the housing market it's a wait and see what happens.

Here that 70 rust free original paint. Owner install a 2F in 1975 because he said the original F had a problem.with a burnt exhaust valve. Other than that left it stock.
The carrot 025 (1).JPG

I've been searching the market myself for a 40 over the past 6 mos.

Sub $10K expect lots of rust and major work to be needed. $20K seems to be a sweet spot with some rust and issues but sorted for the most point. $30K should expect none to minimum rust and good running condition. $40K and above expect no rust and everything sorted. Super pristine original ones have their own price category as collectors value them the most.

Prices don't seem affected so far. If economy stays in the same trajectory, I would assume prices will start to drop as more inventory hits the market. Top condition 40's probably won't be affected as that buyer always has discretionary spending money.

There's been a lot lately on BAT not meeting reserve and not selling.

Then there's some that have sold for crazy amounts. They'll probably stay high for a while. Got mine right before everything went way up and glad I did

Geez, had I only kept all those cruisers I bought, ESPECIALLY the FJ62. Those are stupid priced now. In 2006 I bought an extremely clean FJ62 for $2,200. Sold it for $3,000 and felt like I was in the money.

fj62.jpeg

There's also The 2 FJ40's I sold cheap, the 4 80 series with the most expensive being $12k for an unbelievably cherry 80 with super low miles. My wife to this day still is mad about that one.

Feels like they are slowing from the stupid money, but basically everyone who grew up in the 70s/80s/90s now has money to buy them and reminisces about them.

Will the market soften?

I think so.

But, people with money, will always have money in general. So while the average schmuck such as myself might start barely paying the mortgage, a lot of folks still won't wince at dropping X amount on a nice cruiser, or shelling out the money to restore one.

Pighead don't follow trends.

Would be curious how many cruisers you have bought since your FJ55 in 1986?

Really wasn't interested in buying that 70 FJ40 and only bought after no luck in helping the owner sell it here on Mud. I was not worried about losing money when I decide to sell it. Already recognized the value in a rust free FJ40. Have bought other cruisers just because the price was too good to pass up. That hasn't been the case for a number of years. 2007 was the last good deal I've found on a FJ40. This 76 was for sale in the club house section for over a year. All the original posts ran it down because of it's condition. Ended buying it for $2.5k. Up to that time was the most I ever paid for a FJ40.

Only two pictures in the ad.
8x6.jpg
prototype 010 8x6 (Small).jpg

Day I brought it home.
0007.JPG

Picture from when I brought the 70 FJ40 home. Can see after four years still hadn't finishes waxing the faded paint on the left ambulance door.
The carrot 044.jpg

Last picture is of the70 and 76 side by side. The 76 hard top sides are a little beat up. Picked up a pair in 2011 of correct 1/75-12/75 beige hard top sides in better shape. Those were $50 for the pair. I'm sure deals are still around but for everyone of those there is a hundred who thing their cruiser is gold plated.

IMG_0367.jpg

I guess we could also add the cost variable of where are internal combustion vehicles that burn fuel going given the desired trend by some in power to eliminate their source of power, petroleum. I still ride horses, so you know where I stand on that.

Yeah like a 1983 with rust, albeit minor, for $60k! No thank you.
Would be curious how many cruisers you have bought since your FJ55 in 1986?

Really wasn't interested in buying that 70 FJ40 and only bought after no luck in helping the owner sell it here on Mud. I was not worried about losing money when I decide to sell it. Already recognized the value in a rust free FJ40. Have bought other cruisers just because the price was too good to pass up. That hasn't been the case for a number of years. 2007 was the last good deal I've found on a FJ40. This 76 was for sale in the club house section for over a year. All the original posts ran it down because of it's condition. Ended buying it for $2.5k. Up to that time was the most I ever paid for a FJ40.

Only two pictures in the ad.View attachment 3042335View attachment 3042336
Day I brought it home.
View attachment 3042333
Picture from when I brought the 70 FJ40 home. Can see after four years still hadn't finishes waxing the faded paint on the left ambulance door.
View attachment 3042359
Last picture is of the70 and 76 side by side. The 76 hard top sides are a little beat up. Picked up a pair in 2011 of correct 1/75-12/75 beige hard top sides in better shape. Those were $50 for the pair. I'm sure deals are still around but for everyone of those there is a hundred who thing their cruiser is gold plated.

View attachment 3042334

The way the market is it's not really worth buying a rusty fj40 that needs to be completely restored. 10k gets you a rusty cruiser that needs 20k or more in body work. The math doesn't add up. Then you still need to fix mechanical. 20k gets you a fj40 with shoddy bodywork that needs completely redone, and that doesn't run well-a pig with lipstick. Or you can get a nice cruiser for 30k that was restored years ago and might just need some minor body work and mechanical repairs. That's what I think I'm noticing.

I've been searching the market myself for a 40 over the past 6 mos.

Sub $10K expect lots of rust and major work to be needed. $20K seems to be a sweet spot with some rust and issues but sorted for the most point. $30K should expect none to minimum rust and good running condition. $40K and above expect no rust and everything sorted. Super pristine original ones have their own price category as collectors value them the most.

Prices don't seem affected so far. If economy stays in the same trajectory, I would assume prices will start to drop as more inventory hits the market. Top condition 40's probably won't be affected as that buyer always has discretionary spending money.
Good summary, also in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom