Vehicle Move (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

umpqua

GOLD Star
Threads
I plan to move two land cruisers from Oregon to Arkansas mid-July. A 62 and a Troopy. I will trailer the 40 behind the moving truck.

Does anyone have experience with shipping companies? I found a "load board" site called U-ship and I plan to post there to find a carrier.

Any comment on past experience would be appreciated. I will also post this in the 60's section.

Thanks....Rodney.

Going for the move, huh? Been looking eastward lately myself.

There is also a sub-forum in Classifieds for shipping , perhaps that could yield some insight as well.

I've made that drive for work once, for the stage race in Fayateville, Joe Martin. Did it in 3 days, but not sure you want to rack up mileage on either, let alone tow one with the other.

Best,

Ross

I plan to move two land cruisers from Oregon to Arkansas mid-July. A 62 and a Troopy. I will trailer the 40 behind the moving truck.

Does anyone have experience with shipping companies? I found a "load board" site called U-ship and I plan to post there to find a carrier.

Any comment on past experience would be appreciated. I will also post this in the 60's section.

Thanks....Rodney.
Make sure you know the heights of the trucks as some of the transport guys will have lower deck stuff and they'll certainly need to know. I had a customer ship thru U-ship....FJ40 coming from Reno around this time of year. He wanted enclosed transport......we had one coming from Nevada(open transport) that I scheduled with my shipper(paid more but he handles everything).....we got our truck about a month before he got his. Certain times of the year the trucks run certain ways so it can be a little more challenging. Auto transport is an interesting world :)

Going for the move, huh? Been looking eastward lately myself.

There is also a sub-forum in Classifieds for shipping , perhaps that could yield some insight as well.

I've made that drive for work once, for the stage race in Fayateville, Joe Martin. Did it in 3 days, but not sure you want to rack up mileage on either, let alone tow one with the other.

Best,

Ross
Yeah, I figure 20 years is long enough in anyplace. Honestly the rain in the winter and the homeless crowd has gotten to me. Thanks for the shipping link, I'll check that out.

Make sure you know the heights of the trucks as some of the transport guys will have lower deck stuff and they'll certainly need to know. I had a customer ship thru U-ship....FJ40 coming from Reno around this time of year. He wanted enclosed transport......we had one coming from Nevada(open transport) that I scheduled with my shipper(paid more but he handles everything).....we got our truck about a month before he got his. Certain times of the year the trucks run certain ways so it can be a little more challenging. Auto transport is an interesting world :)
Thanks. I will be sure to get an accurate height and length.

Be prepared. Signing up on any shipping board will have you getting hounded for weeks about shipping vehicles :rofl: and endless emails phone calls. I got calls for quotes 3 months after I got my cruiser.

I can’t remember how, but a lady was helping me from Florida, got there and couldn’t do it but had someone she knew of on the side. It all worked out and was the cheapest, but a little sketchy and worrisome for a week or so lol.

Be prepared. Signing up on any shipping board will have you getting hounded for weeks about shipping vehicles :rofl: and endless emails phone calls. I got calls for quotes 3 months after I got my cruiser.

I can’t remember how, but a lady was helping me from Florida, got there and couldn’t do it but had someone she knew of on the side. It all worked out and was the cheapest, but a little sketchy and worrisome for a week or so lol.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually posted on u-ship last week and have received a bunch of emails. I was told by a couple that I should wait until about a week ahead of time to post as the rates would be better.

A member suggested Aaron at Summit. I'd like to use him as I understand he's a mud member. Waiting on his response.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually posted on u-ship last week and have received a bunch of emails. I was told by a couple that I should wait until about a week ahead of time to post as the rates would be better.

A member suggested Aaron at Summit. I'd like to use him as I understand he's a mud member. Waiting on his response.
All the reports on summit is that they are great. Not the cheapest but I haven’t heard of anyone having issues at all with them.

good luck on the move. We are still trying to settle in somewhere but man Colorado has turned in a worse madhouse.
Missouri, Arkansas is starting to look good.

All the reports on summit is that they are great. Not the cheapest but I haven’t heard of anyone having issues at all with them.

good luck on the move. We are still trying to settle in somewhere but man Colorado has turned in a worse madhouse.
Missouri, Arkansas is starting to look good.
Being in Colorado, I feel your pain. OP and I have chatted briefly and I'll figure it out for him in the future if he chooses. There have been PLENTY of problems in the past, but I've found that if you deal with them head-on, they get sorted out one way or another.

Uship can be a good resource, but you will need to distinguish the brokers from the carriers to really see a benefit. I've been doing this for over 10 years and can confidently say that your comment of "auto transport is an interesting world" is entirely accurate. I would add "cheap is not good and good is not cheap" as a warning that the cheap guys won't be there if/when things go wrong.

Look up Farris and Sons Towing/Transportation out of CA. In all the years I have been using him for the shipping of our fancy cars and my personal truck purchases(along with a lot of my customers using him), we have never had any issues other than some small dumb stuff. You can tell him Chris with all the Land Cruisers in FL referred you :)

Ray(owner) is a pro and I can't imagine trying to arrange all the stuff we've brought in or shipped out without him. Worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom