Vehicle mounted fire extinguishers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the initial stages of my Moab prepping, much to do on the list, but one of the big items is to be way more organized than the pack it and stuff it approach, then buy a roof rack and stuff it some more, that was used for my Rubicon trip.
One of the essential items I have, but is always buried somewhere in the back of my truck, totally inaccessible in a panic situation, is a fire extinguisher.

This is a great old thread on Pirate about such things:

Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

So, since some of you on here are the bravest of the brave (fire fighters), what would you recommend, and where to get one or more?

Im sure you could get a good one from any certified technician like DNA Fire Doctors or Vancouver Fire Protection etc ( I use Van Fire for yearly boat re- certs.) More importantly, I think If I go I will have one handy to me in the drivers seat and one on the exterior of the rig, like on the spare tire mount? Then when I roll it and my old beater spontaneously combusts, some brave passerby can put out the fire...

As an interesting aside, lance had a 5 pound extinguisher modified (at Air Canada's expense, no doubt) into a pressurized Jergens dispenser...

Both Crappy Tire and Home Depot have fire extinguishers rated for vehicle fires. That means it needs to be able to handle chemical (gas/diesel/oil) fires, electrical fires, and common conbustible materials (vehicle interior).
A good general fire extinguisher for a vehicle will have the Codes A, B, and C. A is for general fires, B is for fuel, grease, and C is for electrical. D is for highly unlikely stuff like magnesium and more.
You will want to have a Multi Purpose Dry Chemical one ( compressed dry chemical powder). As for size, the little ones (smallest you can buy) will give you about 8 seconds of blast, and it goes up from there.
Locations, have one close to where the driver can reach without much trouble, and another, if you are paranoid, where a passanger can reach or somewhere close to the back for those unexpected fires when you are not in the driver's seat.
The little ones from Crappy Tire and Home Depot do come with plastic mounting brackets too.

Actually, Jergens is a good all around fire suppressant. Unfortunately, I caught Graham pilfering from it on our last trip, so I will have to get it refilled, which is quite costly. He claims he lit his hair on fire again, which explains the shorter do. I don't know what he was doing in his truck, but it doesn't take much to put out a fair size fire?

If you ever have to use a fire extinguisher - be prepared to clean up a big friggin powdered white mess afterwards.
how-to-clean-up-fire-extinguisher-chemicals-340.jpg

hi jeff,i have a set w/two mounted nozzles for my other race corolla that i am not using any more,if you are interested i will mount them in.

Sounds like a plan John, I'll give you a call this morning.

If you ever have to use a fire extinguisher - be prepared to clean up a big friggin powdered white mess afterwards.

Noted. There are extinguishers on the market that leave no mess to clean up.

Somewhat related side note:

Years ago in the first house I lived in after moving away from home, I came home from being away on a weekend and my friends/roomies had a party, no big deal. About a week later I was moving some things around, and found the remains of fire extinguisher discharge behind all the stuff they didb't move when cleaning up after it, pictures etc.
Apparently being drunk and discharging fire extinguishers is a lot of fun, who knew? ;)

I keep one under the seat. The Safaris came stock with an extinguisher and also road flares. Unfortunately, the NA extinguishers do not fit in the stock mount under the seat. Last year, some how the pin became dislodged in the extinguisher in my wife's Safari and one of my kids feet activated it. You have no idea how far that stuff can travel. I had to pull out the carpet and the dash. I am sure there is more there that I have missed.

Now I am looking for one of those rubber strap mounts to put it up on a pillar or under the seat (head facing forward). Stores often put extinguishers and other fire safety devises on sale during national Fire Safety week. I bought 4 of them in October for about 40% off of retail. Got 2 in the house, one big one in the garage and two in the Safaris.

I had one mounted on the roll cage of my 40. During one trip through the Rubicon the pin dislodged and every weird off camber event a bag would briefly discharge it. Everyone on the sidelines thought I was on fire, or burning off anti-freeze. You'd stop and check... nothing, start driving and next thing you know people are yelling at you that something is on fire, took a few minutes to figure it out.

I have mine mounted sideways under the right side passenger's feet. I just added the mount that it came with to the seat mount and put the same bolt back in. Works like a hot damn. If I need it I hop out of my driver seat (RHD) and grab it from the passenger door. I might have had to widen the hole to fit the seat bolt in; I can't remember. Will post pic this evening.

I use those very tiny zap straps to hold down the flip key. Light enough you can bust them in an emergency but strong to hold from accidently hitting them .

No mater where you mount them you want to make sure you have it secured well. Last thing you need is a 5lb bottle hurling at you in an accident.

Saw these in another thread for a group buy here on 'mud, and they look pretty good. I was cleaning up my garage over the weekend and realized all my extinguishers (5 of them) are horribly dated.

Think we could drum up similar interest here?

Saw these in another thread for a group buy here on 'mud, and they look pretty good. I was cleaning up my garage over the weekend and realized all my extinguishers (5 of them) are horribly dated.

Think we could drum up similar interest here?

I have one of those in each truck, and could use one more in each.
Form factor is great
49913949333_b5730664b0_c.jpg

And as a bonus they just fit in the clips that hold the emergency flare in your HDJ81. Wish they were a little cheaper though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom