VC fan clutch does not roar at startup, $$?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Although my 96 does not overheat, it does not roar at cold startup for 15-20 seconds and I do not hear it ever really locking up when it is hot. How much is the replacement???

around $100 and some patience.
Dave

I also do not hear the "roar". I can hear my neighbors 2000 4 runner when he starts it up. I did the glove technique though and nearly took the damn thing off.... lol.... it was kinda strong.... i felt ample air being sucked through the radiator.

I'm a firm believer that anyone with a more expensive vehicle, 95+, should own an OBDII scanner. If so you could plug it in and stream the data to watch the ECT and see where it's at. Don't put off replacing this - if it needs it then get it done and do not push it too hard in this heat till you've done it.

Man i just got the el cheepo OBDII scanner just to pull codes. I dont think it has a feature to monitor the ECU. That would have been nice.

MLX450 said:
Man i just got the el cheepo OBDII scanner just to pull codes. I dont think it has a feature to monitor the ECU. That would have been nice.

same here, regular scanners just pull/erase codes. looking back I could have bought the software and a cable for about what i have into the scanner and be able to see what the ECU see's. :doh:

somebody mentioned a great laptop scanner unit for less than $100 a year or so back. Was for sale on the Web.

i just called the local dealer for the fan clutch and was told $162.25 plus tax. they have to order it from out of L.A. (i have one of maybe four or five 80 series in the whole imperial valley i swear... they never stock anything!)
lucky for me, i have mine bolted up solid so it's moving an insane amount of air.
i was putting together a list of parts to send to CDan so i guess i'll throw this on the list.

floydturbo, can you feel a push of air behind the fan?
on mine, i felt nearly no air at all even though everything was fully hot.
they are not hard to drill through and bolt up but it is by no means a permanent fix.

Mine also does not roar at startup. I'm not sticking anything of mine in that fan though.

I'll bet CDan can get a better price than that for you.

Try replacing the fluid first.

cruiserman said:

that would be easy for me, as half of it is now pooled in my driveway. HA!

Have you unbalanced the rotating assembly by drilling and bolting?

The fan clutch will NOT be engaged at start. The fluid in the fan clutch must heat up to engage the fan, it's basic thermodynamic principles. The clutch engages as the temp rises and relaxes as the temp decreases. Start up the engine, wait a minute or two and you should hear the fan pick up. If the engine is not showing any signs of increased heating while in park with the a/c on then the fan clutch should be just fine.

Bear, I know it is counter intuitive to how a clutch fan is suppose to operate but a new clutch fan does engage for about 5-10 seconds on cold start, especially in cold weather, my old one with 110K on it did not, several here have said same. My original also as far as I could tell my old one never engaged in hot weather also. Weather or not lack of engagement on a fan clutch on cold start will mean lack of engagement when it is hot I am not sure but so far it has been the case and might be a clue for those looking at the health of their fan clutches.

My Chevy did the same roar on cold start, as for why it does this I do not know, If anybody knows why I would like to hear about it.

cruiserman said:

I still have my original fan clutch, would be nice to refurbish it, but it does not have a fill port like the earlier land cruisers had, there is a bead staked in to what appears to be a drilled port, looks like this si where is was originally filled from.

Where would one source the fluid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom