Vapor seperator repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I removed some wood panels one of the genius PO's had installed for mounting speakers behind the rear cargo panels. Drywall screws went through the sheetmetal and into the plywood. While removing one of the screws from the passenger side I heard a loud hiss. Bubba had screwed into the plastic vapor seperator. :doh:

Just the tip punctured it and it doesn't appear to have been leaking. I put some duct tape over it but it will need a more permanent fix. What would you recommend?

I'd probably just replace it. Trying to patch that may be an issue if you don't do it correctly. You know...fuel vapor...then add a little spark from the speakers not making good contact or something like that...and boom! You've got a new sunroof...

Check cruiserparts.net. I may have an extra one somewhere that I'd sell you...Actually, I know I do! (Just as an aside, there are a couple different types of vapor separators. The ports are different sizes. Compare the part number.)

Last edited:
I'll check it out tomorrow and snap some pictures as well.

Ya gotta wonder about some people. "geez ya think something bad might happen if this screw enters part of the fuel system?"

I'd probably just replace it. Trying to patch that may be an issue if you don't do it correctly. You know...fuel vapor...then add a little spark from the speakers not making good contact or something like that...and boom! You've got a new sunroof...

Check cruiserparts.net. I may have an extra one somewhere that I'd sell you...Actually, I know I do! (Just as an aside, there are a couple different types of vapor separators. The ports are different sizes. Compare the part number.)

Here are some pictures. 77193-60030 seems to be the part number.

You can see where the bonehead drilled into the separator.

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the one that I have ends in 60031, so the ports are a little larger. Good luck with it.

Check out cruiserparts.net...they may have some extras lying around.

Just go grab one from Jim's. Last time I was there they had at least 6 60's and 62's. Probably all of them had that doodad in there still. They'll pull the part for you while you wait

http://jimsgotparts.com/

People use JB Weld or Epoxy to seal up leaky tanks...
I would imagine this would work in this case..same way...
Just saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom