Vapor lock fuel boiling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I have put in a header and a Weber on my FJ60.

I am finding that I am getting vapor lock after idling for a couple of minutes. When I start to drive, the engine bucks and takes about 30 seconds to run right. The heat shield cannot mount to the header. Has anyone rigged up anything to blow air on the carb during idle? I have an electric fan in front of the radiator and have tried running that but it does not help.

Thanks for your responses. I will check the local speed shop for some header/fuel line insulation.

What does it take to fit an electric fuel pump ?

Jet Hot

you could also coat your headers or insulate them with heat protective fabric type stuff; ( i don't know the actual name of the latter.)

never tried this stuff myself but have heard great things about it:

http://www.jet-hot.com/

here's a link showing the header wrap stuff:

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/lr_64880.htm

I have used Jet Hot before on a homemade turbo exhuast elbow for an Eagle Talon. Turned out great and never did change color or get discolored. No rust either.

I have put in a header and a Weber on my FJ60.
I am finding that I am getting vapor lock after idling for a couple of minutes. Has anyone rigged up anything to blow air on the carb during idle?
Yes, a company called Toyota installed this thing called a Carb Cooling Fan for just that reason.:rolleyes:

If yours isn't coming on automatically, it can be actuated w/ a dash switch for use in hot traffic situations.

:cheers:

Yes, a company called Toyota installed this thing called a Carb Cooling Fan for just that reason.:rolleyes::cheers:

What he said. Also, check your fuel pump diaphram to be sure it is putting out pressure. Hot fuel and a weak fuel pump have caused me to think vapor lock.

M

its been in my experience that the header wrap stuff can cause rust so in opinion i would not use it...

yeah the header wrap stuff is a fibrous-fabric material. Therefore, in the rain it soaks up with water and doesn't dry quickly, rusting your headers

The electric fuel pump would go in the line as close to the tank & as low as possible. You wire it with the ignition switch so it comes on with the ignition (not in ACC).

One word of caution, though. Since sometime in the 1970s the NTHSB has required a safety cutoff for new cars in case of a front-end accident. That way you're not pumping fuel into a potential fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom