Valves: To adjust or not to adjust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see quite a bit of chat about adjusting valves. The most common indicator is that they are noisy. My FJ62 with 188K sounds smooth as silk, but it does seem that fuel efficiency is down a bit. I checked with the dealer who does my work. I asked the three mechanics with signficant 3FE experience about adjusting the valves, and the consensous was if they aren't noisy, don't mess with them. Are they right?

If yer fuel eff. is down, 2nd place I'd look is the O2 sensor. (1st place would, of course, be the nut behind the wheel, hehe)

Sometimes if they arent noisy they could be getting on the tight side, I check mine about once a year.

I have mine adjusted every 15,000 and they are usaully off a bit.
They are supposed to tick if they don't they maybe to tight.
So yeah, and what everyone else said.

I check mine once a year whether it needs it or not!!

Mark Algazy once told me that if you have a dash mounted vacuum gauge, you will know EXACTLY when you need to adjust them. Not too soon, not too late. That is why I plan on adding one.

Mark started a thread in the 60 series on how to hook one up and use the knock out next to the headlight switch.

Even more, it's easy, takes some time, but it's easy. I didn't know if mine needed it or not, but figured I'd do it anyway. It helped a little, now I notice the exhaust leak a lot more (Because I can hear it now)

This is a once per year chore. Just do it. I usually only need to adjust one or two valves.

Noisy valves are generally OK. Tight ones make less noise and are not OK. It's also the tight ones that are more likely to burn or cost you HP.

Today all the more experienced mechanics at the dealership were summoned around my FJ62 to consult on this subject. The consensus after listening and driving were that it sounds and runs so smoothly, they seriously doubt that the investment to adjust the valves (five hours labor by the book) is not warranted. They also were very concerned that it sounded and ran so smooth that they very possibly could do more that would be detrimental than beneficial trying to tweak out the valve clearance. The other twist is that just to check them is not cheap. That all sounds good...., but I'm left with little than that group opinon to reassure me that there is not a benefit to be had in HP and longevity as Drew mentioned. :confused:

I discussed with the service rep what some of you have mentioned that quiet valves can sometimes be tight. Quite respectfully he theorized that you would expect valves to get loose rather than tight over time. He was voicing the mechanics' clear reluctance or lack of confidence to do this task. Given I can't even remember when, if ever, the valves have been adjusted, is it realistic to think they could be tight?

Today all the more experienced mechanics at the dealership were summoned around my FJ62 to consult on this subject. The consensus after listening and driving were that it sounds and runs so smoothly, they seriously doubt that the investment to adjust the valves (five hours labor by the book) is not warranted. They also were very concerned that it sounded and ran so smooth that they very possibly could do more that would be detrimental than beneficial trying to tweak out the valve clearance. The other twist is that just to check them is not cheap. That all sounds good...., but I'm left with little than that group opinon to reassure me that there is not a benefit to be had in HP and longevity as Drew mentioned. :confused:

I discussed with the service rep what some of you have mentioned that quiet valves can sometimes be tight. Quite respectfully he theorized that you would expect valves to get loose rather than tight over time. He was voicing the mechanics' clear reluctance or lack of confidence to do this task. Given I can't even remember when, if ever, the valves have been adjusted, is it realistic to think they could be tight?

No way to know if they are loose or tight, that's why you need to check. It's weird they would charge you 5 hours of shop time. I could see 2. It takes longer to get the valve cover off than to adjust the valves. It is also only trivially more work to set them, then to just check them. Some motors wear the valves looser and some tighter over time. It depends whether the valves receed into the seat faster than the ends of the lifters and push rods wear. In a perfect world they would wear at exactly the same rate. Still, you don't know without checking.

You should go to a Cruiser specific shop. They probably do this chore every few days and could easily quote you shop time off the cuff. I will say this, though, I could do both of my 2Fs and drive to Lake Tahoe in 5 hours. They are just quoting high to avoid doing the job.

Where are you? There is likely someone local who could help you out.

Drew, thanks for the useful explanation of the mechanics involved in the subject. I checked my records, and show only two valve adjustments at 15K and 115K.

I'm in Tucson. The problem I'm seeing is the older Cruisers are outlasting the mechanics who were the experts on them; they've retired. The younger guys don't have the wealth of experience and lack the confidence to dive in there. Anybody with a suggestion in the Tucson area?

Check the sub forums there is a Tucson group

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

They are meeting this Friday. I'm in Tucson and the info you are getting from the dealers is typical of someone who doesn't know much about 60's which is both dealers in town.
Bill Lee used to be local and was the land cruiser guru in Tucson, but he has since moved on to Silver City NM.
I just got back from there with my truck. Check the link maybe someone else uses a local shop for 60's.

Last edited:
Location: Rubio's 10509 N. Oracle Road (Oracle & Pursh View Lane) - Target Shopping Center just north of Hilton El Conquistador.
Time: 7:00pm-ish

I will be there at about 6:30 if it's going on. It is supposed to be the second Friday of every month. I will post on there as well Just to make sure. I haven't been to it in a while it's a pretty far trek from starpass.

My son just asked this week if there was a local club. He and I would like to come, but it may be a bit too busy tomorrow with games, etc. We'll see. Either way, I'm going to post an inquiry about local shops on the sub-forum. I know what you mean; we will be coming from the far NE side.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, its an easy job. Its a lot harder with a 3fe than a 2f and even the 3fe isnt hard.

The easiest way for me to set them is to adjust each cylinder on the power stroke, its a royal pain to even find the timing window on these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom