valve train question on 76 FJ40 with 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DrJ

Threads
am completely overhauling my FJ engine. I didnt tear it apart but the shop that did got me the parts back. My question is, I put a new cam in and aligned the 2 dots on the timing gears up and am trying to cold adjust the valves..... going by the book it says on TDC compression stroke to adjust valves..... I have the list......problem is the exhaust valve on # 5 cyl is open and not closed to adjust.......I dont have the flywheel on the engine while its on the stand so i guess my question is ....If TDC isnt when the dots are aligned on compression stroke where is TDC???? Thanks for any input.....BTW, this is my first Toyota OH.... have done many other engines but never run into this before?????

I like the toilet paper trick. Stuff a piece in the TP in the #1 spark plug hole, it wil POP out on the compression stroke. Do the same on #6 obviously.

TDC seems to be no issue..... Issue is cant adjust valves according to books because the #6 exhaust valve is opened at TDC .... all the others are fine.... doing it by the book.... correct cam and crank gear teeth are aligned as per book. maybe im 180 out on the cam.to crank????

Also By looking at the diagram you can check which group of valves are loose and ready to adjust. It will Also tell you which TDC you are on.

Valve Adjust 2.jpg

If the dots on the timing gears match up then you're on and can not be 180 deg out.

Thanks guys.... I finally figured out what was going on...... No where in the book does it say anything about the alignment of the dots when at TDC...LOL..... If i had just not second guessed myself and went ahead and put the timing cover on and roll the engine to TDC on compression all would have been well......Komatsu engines are the same way i found out...... align the dots to each other and forget the dots.......I have the engine on a stand and cant put the flywheel on it but i eyeballed it with the alignment pin at the top and the 1 piston at TDC on compression and the dot on the flywheel is at about 10 o clock..... Thanks for Input..... problem solved..... This aint your typical Chevy or ford engine i found out....LOL I was able to successfully cold adjust all the valves according to the book..... when i fire it up i will do final adjustments warm and idling.
\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom