Valve Stem Seal Type for my 74 F.5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Threads
One question. Does the upgraded seal on the right move up & down with the valve stem like the stock umbrella seal on the left does? Or will the newer style metal seal fasten down to my head or guide and stay put so the valve stem moves up & down through the seal.

I read gobs here but still not clear on this. (Photo taken from Brian’s post)

Valve Seals.jpg

When I upgraded my 74 stem seals to the ones on the right, I tapped them down on to the head. I have had the valve cover off several times to readjust the valves and everything seems correct.

Last edited:
Now that I’m clear on this, I just wanted to finalize this thread for those down the road looking for answers.

I got my seals from Toyota part number 90913-02033. Their catalog shows these to be for years 1976 to 1980. Prior to 1976 the seals were the one-piece rubber umbrella type that move up & down with the valve.(on the left in pic above)

The newer positive seals (on the right in pic above) fit properly on my 74 F.5 which were tapped down onto the valve guide where they stay and do not go up and down with the valve.

The Toyota seals cost me $123.48. I was in a hurry and didn’t shop. To do it again, I would get the ITM seals part # SS196 which look identical and cost just $20.88 for a set of 12 at Rock Auto. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom