Valve stem seal help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rhinoliner

SILVER Star
Threads
I am hoping someone on here can lead me in the right direction.

I have a 78 FJ45 from Canada with a 2F engine. Production date is March 1978. It is smoking like crazy and is fouling the plug in cylinder 5. It doesn't have any smog equipment and the PCV valve is moving freely.

If I clean the plug it runs great until it is fouled again, smoking the whole time. Spark on that cylinder seems consistent with a timing light on that plug wire. On a compression test all cylinders are 125 - 132 and #5 is 130 psi.

I was thinking the first and easiest thing to try is replacing the valve seals on that cylinder. The seals I got from a local Toyota dealer are part# 90913-02033 and is the seal on the right in this picture. When I got one of the springs off the seal on the left with the spring seat built in is what I found. Any ideas why there is such a difference and what should I be looking for?

Also, any other tests or things to look for to try and solve my problem?

Thank you for any help and info.

FJ45 Valve Seals.jpg

Don’t know but the one on the left (original) has a bottom spring seat that the other is missing. Seems like you need the spring seat. Sorry, not much help here.

Seeing as what you’re trying to do is a cylinder #5 only experiment, if your replacement valve stem seal will have the required interference fit on the valve guide you could cut off that “sleeve” and reuse the spring seat portion. Slipping it over guide before installing the new stem seal, obviously 🙄 A one inch piece of soft drink straw slipped over the keeper part of the valve stem would protect the lip of the seal from getting nicked when installing.

That's a good thought. I guess I could cut the top off with a hacksaw and smooth up the edges with a file.

I agree with what Middlecalf said, I feel like the spring seat needs to be there.

That's exactly what I did and it solved my problem. Thank you for the feedback.

I did have to park it outside running for 30 - 40 minutes to burn the oil out of the exhaust system.

It doesn't smoke now, is running great, and the plugs all look the same. I got lucky.

Valve seal 1.jpg

Valve seal 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom