Valve Spring help. 2F guru's needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fjfodee

At a Medium Pace
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild on my '75 2F. Having the cam reground by Delta for the 262 grind.

Checked the valve springs and am getting 2.008 free height. FSM states the height should be 2.028 and to replace if not within spec.

Checked with Napa, and the free height of there springs (Federal Mogul) is 2.015. Don't know the height of OEM Toyota springs.

Soooo.... wondering why the difference in height, and what have others done?

Anyone?

What springs did you guys use when you upgraded the cam?

Ordered some SBC springs.

There is a lot of conflicting info on here about this subject. Some say OEM works fine, some say otherwise. If anyone would like to chime in, please do.

I went with new OEM springs. I read that the Chevy springs can accelerate cam wear. I'm not sure I believe that but I went OEM anyway. Not building a high performance engine; just a stock grind cam in mine.

I'm not sure about the uncompressed height being low. I found 2.028 in the FSM too but no acceptable wear limit. If your cam has a smaller base circle you probably want to have new springs. :meh: totally not a guru.

I looked at the Man-A-Fre springs for their RV cam. Doesn't give any specs, just says "special".

Good possibility that these are Chevy springs for twice the price...:meh:

I looked at the Man-A-Fre springs for their RV cam. Doesn't give any specs, just says "special".

Good possibility that these are Chevy springs for twice the price...:meh:

Kinda like what they do with their pistons.

Did you have the engine machined when you rebuilt it? Your machinist could give you a recommendation I would think. Either way you go the motor is not going to blow up. You might have to spend another $500 on a cam in a few years. And 12 new springs I guess.....

Did you have the engine machined when you rebuilt it? QUOTE]

I'm doing everything myself, other than the balancing and milling of the head. Reground the valves and seats with my die grinder and a roloc disk :hillbilly:. Just kidding...a friend of mine has the stuff to do that, and it's a pretty straight forward proceedure in the FSM.

Trying to go by what Jim C. and Mark W. have posted, but there are thousands of posts in tons of threads. I just dont have that much spare time.

I have a Delta 262 with Chevy valve springs. I have some weird z28 SBC springs in mine, but I think I originally wanted to go with something else. There's a guy over in the 60 section called Yspen that has a thread on valve spring options for reground cams, might check that out.

What cam are you running?

How long have you had it?

No problems so far...?

Im running a Schneider Racing Cams regrind of my stock cam along with reground lifters. I have only had the motor on the street about a week now. My machinest friend said the SBC springs had only slightly more spring pressure than the stockers so I went with the cheaper alternative. For the mild lift of a stock or semi stock cam I wouldnt worry about excessive wear. I can tell you that my rebuilt 2F with 9 to 1 compression, the cam change, trollhole carb, and balance job sure woke my 40 up. No holding up traffic on steep hills for me anymore. :)

Valve Springs

Here's what the Downey catalog says: "The original valve springs are rated at 59.5 to 76.1 lbs., which is too weak and can cause valve float when using a higher lift cam. The old springs also coil bind at .440" of compression, which is the lift of a Downey cam. Downey now offers high performance valve springs rated at 120 lbs. and .570" of compression before coil bind".
I don't know if this info helps you, but I do have a couple sets of these springs left if interested???

I am researching available parts and options for my 1970 F engine. The FSM lists specifications for the springs with the exception of diameter for inner and outer. Does anybody have that information? I would think that without that information one cannot determine which SBC, Ford, International Harvester or John Deere springs to use. Just accepting that "they are pretty much the same" just doesn't work for me.

I am researching available parts and options for my 1970 F engine. The FSM lists specifications for the springs with the exception of diameter for inner and outer. Does anybody have that information? I would think that without that information one cannot determine which SBC, Ford, International Harvester or John Deere springs to use. Just accepting that "they are pretty much the same" just doesn't work for me.
See my previous post above, still have one (1) set left, no need to research Chevy, Ford, IH, or John Deere.

Thank you, would these be single springs or dual inner/outer units? What would the cost be, I would have them delivered to my daughter in 63051 and she will take care of getting them down to me in Ecuador.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom