Valve Seal Replacement: How to leaving head installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DrRock

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay All,
Today I tackled the job of replacing all of my valve guide seals( well10 out of 12, more on that later) so I thought I’d share my experience.

Tools needed:
3/8” metric sockets in regular length, 14mm and 18mm deep
12mm wrench for adjusting valves
A couple 4mm x 300mm bamboo skewers
30’ of P cord for stuffing in to the cylinder to keep the valves up
spark plug socket
torque wrench 15-50ft/lb range
pencil magnet
valve spring compressor ( I got the OTC4573 one but it‘s too tall to get the #6 springs compressed, plus it‘s horrible quality. The bottom feet that grab the spring have no lead in and tend to let go of the spring at random times, shooting parts all over the shop. Some have said this thing works but you have been warned. Maybe I got a bad one but still it’s too tall for the last set of springs. I’ll update this thread once I find a better solution).

Parts Required:
new valve guide seals quantity 12
new valve cover gasket if needed

Step 1- Remove Air filter housing and any vacuum lines associated with it

Step 2- Remove all spark plugs

Step 3- Remove Valve cover

Step 4- Undo all valve adjustment screws to take load off springs

Step 5- Remove rocker Assy following the reverse of install procedure in FSM

Step 6- Insert skewer into cylinder #1 and rotate engine until piston is approximately 75% up. Use skewer to push p cord into cylinder through the spark plug hole until full. rotate engine until piston pushed p cord up and engine won’t turn anymore.

Step 7- get out your Spring compressor and compress spring until you can remove the keepers. Once the spring is compressed, I’d push the tool down and confirm the valve is being held up by the cord, then use your pencil magnet to remove the keepers.

Step 8- gently pull off old valve guide seal with a pair of pliers around the body.

Step 9- Install new valve guide seal using a 12 point 18mm deep socket and gently tap the new seal into place. GENTLY.

Step 10- Re install spring and keepers with magnetic pencil

Step 11- Repeat steps 6-10 on the balance of the valves

Step 12- Install Rocker Assy per FSM

Step 13- Adjust Valves

Step14- Complete installation of other items, valve cover, vacuum tubes, spark plugs etc.

Start truck and confirm all is working and hoses are connected.

I think that’s it! If anyone can recommend a better valve spring compressor please let me know and I’ll update this thread.

cheers, James

Thanks for this. I’ve had the parts for a while. Maybe I’ll get around to doing it soon. What symptoms were you having prior to replacement?

I was having high oil consumption and blue smoke on take off after idling. My compression and vacuum are within spec so I figured I’d do this to see if it helped. When I pulled the old seals and compared them to the new ones, the old ones were approximately .5mm larger and hard as rocks. They were the new style but the rubber was black versus the ones I just got fromToyota were reddish.

Would these yucky plugs be a symptom of leaky valve seals?
1631646683446.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom