Valve ease caused issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

Hoping someone can help me.

I recently bought an old 60 series which has a 3F carb engine in it.

She was running really well for a car that was standing for almost 2 years.

I put some Penns valve ease in the tank about two weeks ago and it's seemed to be doing it's job as plenty carbon came out the exhaust.

However when we took her out we didn't get far down the road before she died.

I realised that the bowl in the carb was dry so it wasn't getting fuel (pump is fine) to realize the needle & seed was blocked.

I stripped the carb and gave it a really good clean and put it back together. It started up and idled okay but if I tried to rev it would struggle at first and then would rev really high but tappets made quite. Bit of noise.

I did valve clearance and since then she won't start without spraying some carb cleaner in the carb. Then idles for a bit before dying.

I'm totally lost after trying everything including setting the point gap.

Any advise would be great 🙈

Did you change the fuel filter and have you checked the plugs?

Hi guys

Hoping someone can help me.

I recently bought an old 60 series which has a 3F carb engine in it.

She was running really well for a car that was standing for almost 2 years.

I put some Penns valve ease in the tank about two weeks ago and it's seemed to be doing it's job as plenty carbon came out the exhaust.

However when we took her out we didn't get far down the road before she died.

I realised that the bowl in the carb was dry so it wasn't getting fuel (pump is fine) to realize the needle & seed was blocked.

I stripped the carb and gave it a really good clean and put it back together. It started up and idled okay but if I tried to rev it would struggle at first and then would rev really high but tappets made quite. Bit of noise.

I did valve clearance and since then she won't start without spraying some carb cleaner in the carb. Then idles for a bit before dying.

I'm totally lost after trying everything including setting the point gap.

Any advise would be great 🙈
Do you have a copy of the FSM? I would start by going through the entire emissions check list. Did you change the fuel filter, air filter... etc?
This was probably a typo but the 3F engine has EFI. The 2F is carbureted.

You're doing a lot of drastic things to your engine at once. This complicates resolving issues. Do one thing at a time until you are satisfied this helped or at least you haven't made things worse before moving on to the next problem. Valve cleaning products work by dissolving/dislodging sludge in the valves and on other parts of the engine. Nice if it all the sludge liquifies and you can change out the oil. But problems can occur if solid pieces are dislodged and travel to the bottom end of the motor and affect the bearings. I'd want to remove the valve cover and see how much sludge is built up on top of the head before using this product. Personally I would NOT have moved on to a valve adjustment before getting the carb running good. Revving the carb and it struggled means you prob didn't put something back together right or you have a fuel supply problem.

Do you have a copy of the FSM? I would start by going through the entire emissions check list. Did you change the fuel filter, air filter... etc?
This was probably a typo but the 3F engine has EFI. The 2F is carbureted.

He's in Botswana and probably does have a 3F. 3F is carbed and was available is regions of the world outside of US. 3FE is the fuel injected version.

He's in Botswana and probably does have a 3F. 3F is carbed and was available is regions of the world outside of US. 3FE is the fuel injected version.
Ah, I see. Learn new things every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom