valve cover replacement or R&R and threads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone got any links on valve cover cleaning or replacement? i saw one recently on cleaning the baffles to help with oil loss and i thought i might take a stab at doing on of these.

any recommended parts beyond the valve cover gasket? i guess i should get a set of spark plug tube deals?

56C0C39D-59FF-4918-9048-EABEB06D6B7F.jpeg

7C92FA25-67FF-4376-8A26-57E1F5AA2087.jpeg

VC gasket, spark plug tube seals, PCV and grommet, TB gasket are the standard "while you're in there." You may consider the distributor O-ring if you've got any oil leaks over there as well.

VC gasket, spark plug tube seals, PCV and grommet, TB gasket are the standard "while you're in there." You may consider the distributor O-ring if you've got any oil leaks over there as well.

any thoughts on fipg or whatever? i guess there are a couple of kinds?
any thoughts on new spark plugs? i bought it used and i think distributor and leads are in fact replaced in the last 10K. which i assume means spark plugs were done...(?)

I believe the manual calls for black fipg on the half moons at the front.

Might as well do plugs if you don't have documentation, it's only a few bucks. Also, if your wires and distributor were not OEM (if you have the receipts) you might consider re-doing those as well.

I believe the manual calls for black fipg on the half moons at the front.

Might as well do plugs if you don't have documentation, it's only a few bucks. Also, if your wires and distributor were not OEM (if you have the receipts) you might consider re-doing those as well.

THANKS a lot. i'm gathering this is about as straightforward a job as you can possibly get and nothing to watch out for?

also, on cleaning the actual valve cover to clean out the baffles. can i take it to someone do do an ultrasonic clean? someone else mentioned some other process i couldn't recall but i am thinking that a regular elbow grease clean may not get me where i want to be with this thing.

Also, if your wires and distributor were not OEM (if you have the receipts) you might consider re-doing those as well.
Question: Are OEM wires that only wires that are worthwhile or do you just always use OEM parts?

there is no reason to NOT do the dizzy o ring while you are there. also its a great time to to the PHH2 that goes to the TB while you have it off. i know it can get out of hand quick and next thing you know you are unbolting the rear ring gear if you dont stop but at least do those things.

Question: Are OEM wires that only wires that are worthwhile or do you just always use OEM parts?
I am not a 100% OEM purist, but I am slowly becoming one as I've owned the truck long enough to do the same jobs over again. :hillbilly: I also have learned through experience to second-guess the PO's claims of maintenance.

I am not a 100% OEM purist, but I am slowly becoming one as I've owned the truck long enough to do the same jobs over again. :hillbilly: I also have learned through experience to second-guess the PO's claims of maintenance.
I've had Land Cruisers for a long time (35 years) and have used lots of OEM and aftermarket parts. IMHO, OEM parts are good. However, there are lots of good aftermarket parts too that are way less expensive. Some aftermarket are crap for sure. But there are some that are at least as good as OEM.

gents.
any thoughts on which parts i need to look at? distributor cap, wires and o ring would have been done in the last 5-10K afaik. i did the PCV valve and grommet.
i’m going to clean out the throttle body in an ultrasonic i think and take the valve cover to get hot dipped or something.
what else?
where is the PHH2 hose?
THANKS
jonathan

5BB1D41A-3FD9-4E9B-AD43-32ED294A7BE6.jpeg

D0EE3D5F-E69F-48B2-BFEC-B5152A178302.jpeg

69BB56C9-D1F6-4F0A-B0D0-72722483A2E9.jpeg

D4BF8653-60F0-417E-85E2-BFF8C49D1FA3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom