Valve cover job potential issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting on a new valve cover gasket on my new to me 94 cruiser. Ran into a potential issue with the removal of the half moon head cutouts. I was delicate with their removal, however, upon inspection noticed the driver's side half moon was missing sections of the inside lip. Used a section of tshirt to not mar it. Did not hear a tink or anything upon removal. No debris in the the little pocket under the distributor shaft. This still has me pretty worried. Any thought or guidance? Thanks in advance!

PXL_20230318_203046002.MP.jpg

PXL_20230318_203039862.MP.jpg

Flushing with used oil isn't the best approach, IMHO. I'd use diesel fuel or kerosene, whichever is cheaper where you are. Just don't let it sit in there without replacing it with oil. And change your oil after about 1 hour of use. Not cheap, but cheaper than tearing down an engine.

Ok, second guessing my approach... Am I ok draining the oil and pouring all of it right back down the timing chain channel to flush it? It looks to me that I should be ok, but would like a second opinion! Thanks!

What are you trying to flush out?

Chips from that half moon?
Your first post, sounded like you don't think you caused the chips?

Post a better pic of the break. Is the metal clean? Fresh break that you did?
Or dirty and old, done by someone else?

If old and dirty, move on with life

What are you trying to flush out?

Chips from that half moon?
Your first post, sounded like you don't think you caused the chips?

Post a better pic of the break. Is the metal clean? Fresh break that you did?
Or dirty and old, done by someone else?

If old and dirty, move on with life
Breaks were clean looking unfortunately so I think I did it. No idea how, but most likely me. Breaks now look oily because I cleaned the darn thing. FIPG around the inside also looked like they had the lips prior to me messing with it. Thanks all for the feedback!

Ok, second guessing my approach... Am I ok draining the oil and pouring all of it right back down the timing chain channel to flush it? It looks to me that I should be ok, but would like a second opinion! Thanks!
If it gives you peace of mind....OK. But nothing to be gained (IMO) at this juncture. Any pieces that 'might' have gone down there are long gone and causing no issues.

Last edited:
As a follow up on this issue, ended up pulling the lower oil pan (already verified it was leaking) and didn't find any pieces. Reinstalled, and ran the motor with fresh cheap oil and some marvel mystery oil. Ran about 20 minutes and then drained the oil. Fresh filter and good oil and the cruiser seems happy! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom