Valve Cover Gasket Failure - Any idea why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 LX470 255k mi. I was highway driving and during a slow down noticed a puff of white smoke from the front passenger side. Thought it was 18wheeler next to me braking hard. Little bit later hit another slow down and now have continual smoke coming from same area. I though maybe the brake caliper had stuck because there were no dash lights and temp and oil gauge were where they always are. I pulled over to take a look. Brake caliper is fine, entire passenger side of engine and bay covered in oil. Oil is dripping all over the place, so much so it is impossible to see where it is coming from. Only the very tip of the dip has oil on it. Got towed into a Toyota dealership thinking the worst. They said the leak was coming from the front corner of the valve cover gasket and replaced the gasket. Drove 200mi home an no leak.

I changed both VC gaskets about 1,000 miles ago and have had no leaks. I checked the oil 4 days prior to failure and oil was full. I drove about 500 - 600 miles between checking the oil and getting towed. What could have caused the gasket to fail in such a short amount of time? Is there something I could have done incorrect when replacing them that would have caused this? I would think issues would show up earlier. On the side of the road I checked the VC bolts I could reach and I couldn't turn them with my fingers. I did not get a chance to talk the to tech however the service advisor said oil was "pouring out" of the leak. I'm guessing a bolt could have loosened but I would expect more of a seep over time compared to a pouring.

The gaskets I installed were Toyota parts from Witt's End. I also changed the PCV valve (Toyota from Witt's End) when I changed the gaskets. I asked the service dept to save the gasket but not sure what to look for.

In the grand scheme of things I am counting my lucky stars, I was really lucky with this fiasco. If I had not stopped when I did I'd be looking for a new engine right now. I noticed the smoke on I-10 over the Atachafalaya Basin Bridge about a 1/4mi from one of the only 2 exits in a 20 mile stretch. There was a rest area and Heritage museum located basically in the middle of no where. Museum was open and more importantly had AC while waiting 5.5hrs for tow truck to show. Also I now have a solid oil film covering the entire underside of the LX so no worries about rust for a little while. Shout out to Hampton Toyota in Lafayette LA, they were amazing.

Lazy reply from me:

1. Torque on bolts? Too little, they can back off and not seal. Too much/uneven and you risk leaks/damage. Did you use a torque wrench?
2. Improper pcv install. If the intake isn't sucking away some of that crankcase pressure, you could build up pressure and pop a gasket.
3. Rtv - there's some needed on the corners, if I remember right. Skip the rtv or use poor quality stuff and you could have a huge leak point right at that front corner.

Lazy reply from me:

1. Torque on bolts? Too little, they can back off and not seal. Too much/uneven and you risk leaks/damage. Did you use a torque wrench?
2. Improper pcv install. If the intake isn't sucking away some of that crankcase pressure, you could build up pressure and pop a gasket.
3. Rtv - there's some needed on the corners, if I remember right. Skip the rtv or use poor quality stuff and you could have a huge leak point right at that front corner.
Used a torque wrench, started in middle and criss-crossed outward. Used Toyota RTV but it may have been a little old.

Finally got a chance to look at gasket. This could have happened during installation but I have doubts cause it didnt leak for 1kmi. It could have happened during the replacement.

20210708_145730.jpg

Used a torque wrench, started in middle and criss-crossed outward. Used Toyota RTV but it may have been a little old.

Finally got a chance to look at gasket. This could have happened during installation but I have doubts cause it didnt leak for 1kmi. It could have happened during the replacement.

View attachment 2725622
That wouldn't be the first time a gasket got cock-eyed during install and magically sealed for a short time before gushing oil everywhere.

I think misalignment during install is your culprit.

That gasket looks damaged. I don't think it failed. suprarx7nut is likely correct.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and giving input. I will have to be way more careful on the next and hopefully many more future VC gasket replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom