valve cover baffle cleaning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i’m thinking of buying a valve cover gasket and “hot tanking” the valve cover to clean out the baffles. anyone able or willing to explain how these two hoses work and which direction the PCV valve vents? i didn’t quite understand why cleaning the baffles might be a good idea.

can i bring the valve cover to an electroplating place and expect they can “hot tank” it?

already replaced the PCV and grommet.

THANKS

1B95BBF4-5940-44BA-AAB2-3DB1DA8CE802.jpeg

4CED01D3-6ABD-41D7-A60A-8D7CE38073C1.jpeg

BC4BC43F-D567-46F1-BC3D-6BADBD159329.jpeg

61097FCC-7D42-4C1B-AB21-AA0076984198.jpeg

22696080-87BF-4FDD-9DE9-DBA13DFA4048.jpeg

I just scrubbed the inside with diesel fuel and sprayed with brake cleaner to dry everything out. Didn't get under the shield but I really didn't notice a difference. Others may chime in with more detailed information.

Let sleeping sludge lie.

It is wasted time and effort and it just empties your wallet.

When it is time to rebuild your engine, then you clean it all.

I just scrubbed the inside with diesel fuel and sprayed with brake cleaner to dry everything out. Didn't get under the shield but I really didn't notice a difference. Others may chime in with more detailed information.
do you know what the two hoses do exactly? and what the two (?) baffles do?

The PCV vents blow by gasses out of the crank case. As long as there is no positive pressure in the case, everything is fine. If the PCV system gets clogged, then pressure will blow oil past the seals and gaskets.

The PCV vents blow by gasses out of the crank case. As long as there is no positive pressure in the case, everything is fine. If the PCV system gets clogged, then pressure will blow oil past the seals and gaskets.

THANKS. so there is one post on here about a guy that did his head gasket and had worse consumption than before and went back in and had to bend the baffles and he solved his oil consumption.

so the lowdown is that if you have oil consumption due to clogged baffles you likely have a bigger problem with old valve seals?

and once you go in to do valve seals you can then inspect rings and valve guides and cylinder walls?

It is an unlikely story In my view. The baffles would have to be really clogged in order for the PCV to be clogged and then you would likely have an even bigger problem with blow by.

In that case, you just do a complete rebuild or buy a rebuilt long block from a jobber.

It is an unlikely story In my view. The baffles would have to be really clogged in order for the PCV to be clogged and then you would likely have an even bigger problem with blow by.

In that case, you just do a complete rebuild or buy a rebuilt long block from a jobber.

thanks. you’re saying that if clogged baffles is causing excessive consumption you have a more serious problem with rings/cylinder walls or valve guides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom