Valve clearance data point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cube Dweller

Threads
Since I had the valve cover off to do the PHH, I decided to check the valve clearances. I had 2 exhaust and 2 intake that were right at the large end of spec, and one intake and one exhaust that might be a thousandth over. This is using feeler gauges, with slight drag/resistence indicating proper measurement.

I can live with 2 that are a thousandth over. I'll check again in 20K. Or when the nightmare of the PHH has faded into the oblivion of my memory.

Rig has 75K miles, FWIW.

Maybe 30 minutes. Would be easier w/ feeler gauges prebent at 90 degrees. Mine are flat so I had to tweak them a bit.

sactocruiser said:
Since I had the valve cover off to do the PHH, I decided to check the valve clearances. I had 2 exhaust and 2 intake that were right at the large end of spec, and one intake and one exhaust that might be a thousandth over. This is using feeler gauges, with slight drag/resistence indicating proper measurement.

I can live with 2 that are a thousandth over. I'll check again in 20K. Or when the nightmare of the PHH has faded into the oblivion of my memory.

Rig has 75K miles, FWIW.

How does removing the valve cover make it easier to replace the PHH?

To loosen the lower bolt that clamps the metal heater pipe to the intake manifold. There's almost no room to swing a wrench, I have Gearwrenches and I couldn't get >5 degrees of movement to move the pawl on the wrench. By removing the valve cover you can swing the wrench 10-15 degrees.

Some people have done it without. I found it easier just to do it, plus I already had the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals sitting around.

If you've ever changed the PHH and are in Colorado when Robbie's changing one, it's probably worth watching. According to the write up on Christo's site he can change it w/out removing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom