Valve "chatter" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TJDIV

UP of MI.
Threads
Website
www.roamwherever.com
Is it possible that changing oil that experienced "over heating" will elminate valve chatter?

Just wondering.

Also, if valves were damaged due to heat, what would be considered a "proper" fix/repair according to warranty? [which I have]

Thanks. Tom IV

Who is telling you that your oil 'over heated'.....Mobil oil lab in Chicago?

If you have caused mechanical damage to the valve mechanism, replacing ANY damaged parts is going to be the only proper fix, including, but not limited to, cam, followers, push tubes(if not an OHC), rockers, valves, etc.

Good luck!

What are you having worked on by the way...

-Steve

Poser said:
push tubes

Steve

Eh?

WTF is this? Some kind of northern Minnesota term doncha know?

You betcha!!!
Never heard 'em called "tubes"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They are a tube Butch...

Call them a rod if it makes you feel better...

:beer:

Poser said:
They are a tube Butch...

Call them a rod if it makes you feel better...

I'm not sure the 2 F is a tube, no oil flows thru it like SBC engines.....hhhmmmmI think I'll whack one in half tommorrow just to see...... :flipoff2:

Good ones should have a nice metallic ring to them when you tap them before you roll them to make sure they are re-useable....

If there is a dull 'thud'. they get pitched....

Well, I Googled it, and went thru 60 responses and none of them related to "push rods"
So I'm thinkin' it's a Poserism..........kinda like Kemperphonics....

Nice edit....

:rolleyes:

Called tubes on diesels...Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, and others that I have worked on...

Kemperphonics, hmmmm. Added to the dictionary. Now I just need a pic to add it to the pictionary! :flipoff2:

Never heard them called push tubes, even though they are made of tubing, alwyas push rods.

I love the sound of a 2F. :)

That is what mine sounds like and I think I need to adjust the valve lash in just a 'C' hair. I just rebuilt my engine last year and it has only had about 15 starts and short idles since installing it in the 40.

sounds like mine with an exaust leak :)

The chatter will sound more pronounced with a header as well. No thick cast iron there to deaden it.

Maybe I should clarify:

5.7 LTR Vortec V8, Chevrolet. I thought it was an exhaust issue with the donut side of the manifold, but that's not it.

Fact is, when this truck was delivered to me, it showed up 2 GALLONS LOW on coolant and was running constant at 230*. I didn't catch it until the delivery guy was LONG gone, and am enforcing a warranty on it if it's damaged.

I know what valve chatter sounds like. I heard it whenever my 68 Buick was low on Oil, I've heard it in other SBC's and Dodge Trucks, even the Jeep AMC straight 6's. It's undeniable when you hear it.

Called the seller [good guy] and he said that a change of oil might help it. (Engine has 108K but runs VERY well).

Anyway, even if it does need work I'm still happy with the deal, just gotta figure it out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom IV

ahh see a chev v-8, now that changes everything, dont bother fixing, just replace it with a new one next time your at 7-11 getting a big gulp!!

On sbcs heat will sometimes cause valve lifters to clatter. changing the oil may help temporarily but at the least look at replacing the lifters down the road. depending on how bad it may last a long time as is

The last 2 SBC motors I had I ran in to valve clatter. On both it turned out to be a stuck lifter. On the SBC when you tighten the rockers down, you run the nut down till there's no play and then turn one half turn, if I remember correctly. Well when the hydraulic lifter sticks (gets some crud in it) that 1/2 turn keeps the exhaust valve open and the ticking I heard was actually the cylinder fireing out of the exhaust. The same noise can be caused from a rocker being to tight. Compression tests found the culprit.

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom