Valve adjustment can’t get gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait. After I did the first set of valves, I rotated the engine what I thought was 360 degrees by watching the rotor go all the way around and then finding the 2 marks again. Did I actually turn the engine 720 degrees while the rotor only goes around once? Sorry to sound stupid about this.

Funny, he is pointing arrows at the pushrods.

I was just making sure. Figured the picture was just pointing out the valve assembly in question but never hurts to double check.

The cam turns at half the speed of the crank. 4 stroke meaning 2 up and 2 down strokes per combustion cycle.

Glancing through this it appears that your have the rotor pointed Northwest (TDC compression) which is correct for the first set of valve adjustments, it should be 180 degrees from that (TDC exhaust) when doing the second set of valves.
I made that mistake once and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a gap.

Glancing through this it appears that your have the rotor pointed Northwest (TDC compression) which is correct for the first set of valve adjustments, it should be 180 degrees from that (TDC exhaust) when doing the second set of valves.
I love you man! Always nice to have someone who has walked in the same crap as you! Thanks. I’ll have to do the second set cold I guess but it looks like you just add 2/1000th to the gap if I read correct.

I love you man! Always nice to have someone who has walked in the same crap as you! Thanks. I’ll have to do the second set cold I guess but it looks like you just add 2/1000th to the gap if I read correct.
Yes, you can add that amount to do it cold.
It freaked me out when I didn’t set the TDC to exhaust and couldnt find gaps. One time I set valves at 7 degrees before TDC. LIVE AND LEARN.
Its always better to do it warm but these are tractor engines.
Ive monkeyed around with valves a few times, made mistakes, re-done etc etc.
Always remember slightly loose is better than over tight.
Determining what “slight drag” is on the gages is art vs science. The way I do it now is to use a stethoscope and listen to the valves before I adjust. I find one on compression that sounds good and set whatever “slight drag” feels like on that one as my referece drag for all others.

Hard to break these rigs....love that.

I don't have a 3f but the image from the manual on post 13 shows the rotor pointing north . or between 3 and 4th plugs..is this different for a 3fe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom