Valve adjustment can’t get gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
I have followed the FSM for a warm engine valve clearance adjustment. I did the first set with no problem and then rotated the engine 360 degrees to the 2 dots and on the 4th and 6th valves from the front of the vehicle, I cannot get a gap no matter how far I turn the adjustment screw. It also seems that the sleeve around the pushrod doesn't spin freely on these 2 valves, even if the adjustment screw is turned all the way out and loose. Appreciate the feedback. So much for the warm engine.

What 2 dots? the flywheel has a line on it that is TDC.
this is TDC:
1610756138162.png

rotate another 360 again the line/groove should be lined up with the pointer. The rotor should point away from the motor. Then the do valves in pink:

valve adjust table.JPG

image.jpg

So have you all seen a push rod stick like this? Or not be able to get a gap at all? I’m stuck thought it would be straight forward as it was running smooth as silk.

So have you all seen a push rod stick like this? Or not be able to get a gap at all? I’m stuck thought it would be straight forward as it was running smooth as silk.
Does the spring/valve look compressed compared to the others? I would have to assume you’re not checking the right valve or you’re not at TDC. Sorry to accuse you but I’ve walked people through this before and they easily get it mixed up.

I spin it to TDC and look for the first three valves on either side of the head to be loose (closed), this tells me which pattern to start with, adjust x6then spin 360 and do the other pattern.

by the way, I’ve experienced stuck lifters before and it was definitely not a silky smooth engine
:confused:

Accuse away! I have the 2 dots in sight and this is one 360 rotation from the first set that went fine I had the 1st cylinder with the valves loose and 6th were closed.
I had a stick in the #1 cylinder and could easily see it was at TDC AND THE 2 holes were lined up with the marker. The first 6 valves went fine and all others went fine as well. Only exhaust on #2 and intake on #3 will not give a gap no matter where I turn the adjuster screw including all the way out. And the sleeve around the push rod that spins freely on all other rockers are stuck on these 2 only.
they don’t look significantly pushed down in the pic.
BE7E796E-75F8-472B-AEAA-EB152E85BBCC.jpeg

Ok maybe a little bit down. I want to force the spring valve down but can’t seem to get enough force to push it down.

Hi, Haveyou tried taping it with a rubber hammer. Mike

not sure about a 3fe but 2f the rotor should point toward the motor between the 3rd and 4th spark plug when TDC ( see the FSM image in post #2) and when you rotate the motor 360 it will point away from the motor.

I notice your rotor is pointing toward the 6th plug hole ...is this normal for a 3fe?

looking at the 3f manual, while the engine is in the TDC position, it shows the rotor in this position (see image) and I assume it would be 180 degrees or away from the engine after one rotation of the engine. So is the dizzy stabbed wrong or is the cam out of position? Are the two timing marks (dots on the timing gears) aligned while TDC?
(edit) an out of position cam would explain why the valves are off.

1610805515355.png

Last edited:
Are you measuring the gap between the pushrod and the rocker or the gap between the rocker and the top of the valve?

Hi, Haveyou tried taping it with a rubber hammer. Mike
I did but couldn’t move the spring loaded side and couldn’t really pry the rocket arm off to get a small gap.

Funny, he is pointing arrows at the pushrods.
That is just pointing to the valve I’m having trouble with. You can see the adjustment screw is way out on both the 4th and 6th valve from the front. I could send a picture of the window and the marker over the 2 dots on the flywheel but that’s where it is. I verified that the #1 valves were loose and #6 were tight when I did the first set of valves then rotated 360 to get to the opposite set

Are you measuring the gap between the pushrod and the rocker or the gap between the rocker and the top of the valve?
Rocker and top of valve.

looking at the 3f manual, while the engine is in the TDC position, it shows the rotor in this position (see image) and I assume it would be 180 degrees or away from the engine after one rotation of the engine. So is the dizzy stabbed wrong or is the cam out of position? Are the two timing marks (dots on the timing gears) aligned while TDC?
(edit) an out of position cam would explain why the valves are off.

View attachment 2554731
I posted the page in the 3FE FSM that I followed above. Used the rotor direction for a rough estimate then had helper watch for the 2 dots on flywheel and verified that #1 valves were loose and therefore #1was at TDC.

Thanks fir the replies guys. I’m working a 24 hour shift today but will be back at it tomorrow or Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom