Valve adjustment and setting distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oh I have a 1969F 145 motor that was rebuilt about three years ago. The valves have never been adjusted nor has the distributor been set. Where is the best place to get a hold of instructions to do both?

The service manual. You will need some feeler guages and a timing light too. Vacuum guage helps too. Its really not that difficult after you do it once. There might be some YouTube videos showing you how.

The service manual. You will need some feeler guages and a timing light too. Vacuum guage helps too. Its really not that difficult after you do it once. There might be some YouTube videos showing you how.
Thanks, I do not have a service manual available to me at this time. I was just hoping there was someplace I could pull info off the net to get’r done.

Is the engine in a vehicle? Does it run?
You will need a way to rotate the engine. Do you have the hand crank?
Ideally, you adjust valves with the engine warm. For your first time, probably adjust them cold so you get the hang of it.
If you do a thorough search on 'Mud you'll find many threads to help.

Is the engine in a vehicle? Does it run?
You will need a way to rotate the engine. Do you have the hand crank?
Ideally, you adjust valves with the engine warm. For your first time, probably adjust them cold so you get the hang of it.
If you do a thorough search on 'Mud you'll find many threads to help.
Yes the engine is in the vehicle. I have not been successful in obtaining a hand crank either. I have the plugs out. I am using the spare tire wrench set from my Nissan pick up to turn motor over. I tried bumping it with the starter but it moves too much.

Find the 40 series FAQ (scroll up a bit). At least 4 threads in there on valve adjustment

This may help!

Valve Adjust.jpg

Who rebuilt your engine?

Also, I don’t know your skills so, I’ll just remind to be clear on the “Two” top dead centers. The crank makes two revolutions for one revolution of the cam. So, there is TDC compression, and TCD exhaust. Viewing the rotor in the distributor should tell you which one you’re on. And if the valve cover is off, you can tell which TDC your on by using the diagram above and see which group of valves have loose push rods & rockers.

If you are parked on a flat surface, putting in high gear, 3rd for a 69, and rocking the vehicle either forward or backwards is an easy way to move the fly wheel slowly to get to the timing marks.
Using Steamers chart above you should be able to get it close.

If you are parked on a flat surface, putting in high gear, 3rd for a 69, and rocking the vehicle either forward or backwards is an easy way to move the fly wheel slowly to get to the timing marks.
Using Steamers chart above you should be able to get it close.
That’s the way I do mine, run it to full operating temp, pull the plugs and rock the vehicle in highest gear to hit the first mark TDC and adjust the valves. Rock it again to make a full turn of the flywheel and adjust the others. Plugs back in, fire her up and then check the timing with a timing light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom