Value this 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is the frame? If the frame is good, and you know how to weld pretty well, it could be a good patina project

So this is the delima when you ask up on mud what something is worth. There will be a massive difference in price from one member to another. Also between what someone thinks its worth to buy or if it was theirs to sell. I seriously doubt very many on here would let that truck go for $1500 but that is a figure that pops up without more info.

In todays crazy market any running driving 40 with a title will find someone to set their ass in it for what most of us would consider a crazy amount of money.

Personally id probably jump at something like this in my back yard in the 1500 range.

I don't think it makes any difference if you pay $2k or $5k for that 40. The real question is how much money do you want to spend on a 40? To satisfy me I would probably have to spend at least $30K (and that might be way low) on that rig without any major mechanical work. You might have different standards, goal, or objectives. I think you would be way ahead to buy one for $10k that only needed $20k of work (or vice versa).

Edit: My comment assumes you want to keep it and drive it. If you just want to part it out then that's a different animal all together.

It looks pretty complete. I’d assume it needs rear floor, rear sill, quarters, rockers and floor below gas tank as far as rust goes (because that’s a pretty safe assumption). So, depending what your desired end result is, the cost of all those parts plus my time is what I’d factor into the offer price. I’m going to guess not having to do that much to a different cruiser is worth at least $5000 to me, so $5k plus $5k for that one would put me looking at one for $10k, with probably just a rear sill replacement and quarter patch. If any of that makes sense.
All that said, no way I’d sell it for $1500 if it were mine, I’d be asking $5000-7500. But, as a buyer, I’d be looking at it in the $2500-3500 IF IT RUNS.

Yep, what @REKCUT said. Some are looking at this as how much to restore it. Others (me ;)) would probably redo the seats, fix any major rust issue with the floor, give it the patina treatment, and then drive it.

Edit: I'm also in a state that requires a title. That effects the value it a positive way.

Not sure how far you’re willing to travel, especially on a lower priced vehicle. But drake2 has one for sale I’d consider before this one based on less rust. Though it needs some parts.

'72, runs, has a title, the rust is obvious. Looking for a long term project but it's in far worse shape than my last '72. What do y'all think it's worth?

View attachment 2892491

View attachment 2892492

View attachment 2892493

View attachment 2892494

View attachment 2892495

not more then :

DSCN9587.JPG

Not sure how far you’re willing to travel, especially on a lower priced vehicle. But drake2 has one for sale I’d consider before this one based on less rust. Though it needs some parts.
Ive seen that one and without a in person inspection im always gonna go for a texas rig over a WI. rig,

Id jump at that one for $1500 but its at $6500 so your making my point that this truck, will a closer look like the guy who post this thread can do, id guess that this truck is worth more than $1500 and might get close to his 5k thought. Just can't tell but at $1500 id grab it.

I don't see him selling it for less than $6K based off of discussions.

Some of the build threads that I've read on here are truly amazing. I've seen folks start out with a whole lot less of a vehicle than the one you have inquired about and proceed to build them almost from scratch to museum quality. But the amount spent in terms of time, materials and tools is quite extraordinary. So, it kind of depends on what you are after. If you are looking for a good solid vehicle that you can drive and enjoy without investing too much, this one would be a hard pass (for me anyway.) On the other hand if you are looking to do a ground-up restoration spanning several years, jettisoning the kids college savings, getting a second mortgage on your house; and building a new garage to house all of your newly acquired tools than this one might be just the ticket for $5k .:)

No kids so I spend their college money freely haha.

No kids so I spend their college money freely haha.
Start from 2K... and see what counter offer will be...
if seller ask for offer with no price ... this is a game ... just play this game..

No matter what you get it for you are going to drop some money on it. Just to get it to a baseline level. Like the others have said it’s what you want in a cruiser. Full blown resto or a driver,beater?
Good luck.

I don't see him selling it for less than $6K based off of discussions.
My first questions are to myself, does it fit what I'm looking for? What will it take to get it to where I want it?
Then I decide how much I would be willing to pay.

After that, it's a question of whether we can agree on a price.

To your original question, I think he's high at 6k and I would probably be at around 4-4.5k. MAYBE 5K if I decided I really wanted it.

HTH

After reading all these posts I can’t disagree that it will bring in the 3-4K range, someone will buy it quickly. I think a better way to gauge the value might be whether or not you have the ability, the desire and the finances to do a resto on something that may likely need everything rebuilt. Or would it be better to spend the money up front and have a rig you can drive and do more of a rolling resto. There are guys on this forum with the skill and determination to take that truck and build a beautiful rig but most of us are not those guys. It is easy to convince yourself that you should start that project and something much different to see it through and not lose interest, go broke or both. There is a lot of value now in a complete truck like that.

I don't want a divorce. II would have to pass at anything more than part out value.
I seriously doubt that truck has been in Texas all its life, unless it was somewhere near the coast. Plus, judging by the hazing around the entire windshield, it was never parked anywhere but outside in the weather. I don't remember, did '72's come with a 4 speed? The condition of the frame would be the determining factor in my opinion. If it's not delaminating, and it has the 4 speed, then $2500, knowing that I would have to replace a lot of sheet metal, including the floor.

Floor pans and kick panels under the doors are rusted through. I've all but given up on this one, not sure I care enough anymore to even go see the condition of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom