Value opinion needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 40th Sage, currently has 285k miles, rebuilt/salvage title. Repaired in 1999 with 35k miles on it. Same owner all this time used as a family hauler. Dry and rust free, no paint issues, good tires, front seats need new two-tone hides. Very well kept and driven by second owner. Classic oil sender light is intermittent. Does not use oil. Garage kept and driven often. Offered $6,500 a couple years ago. What does the forum say it is worth today.

$3-10k.

I know, right?

97 40th Sage, currently has 285k miles, rebuilt/salvage title. Repaired in 1999 with 35k miles on it. Same owner all this time used as a family hauler. Dry and rust free, no paint issues, good tires, front seats need new two-tone hides. Very well kept and driven by second owner. Classic oil sender light is intermittent. Does not use oil. Garage kept and driven often. Offered $6,500 a couple years ago. What does the forum say it is worth today.

Not sure where this one is, but it sounds like one I looked at about 18mos ago. It was pretty bad so I walked away. For something to be a total loss at only 2yrs old something really bad must have happened to it. I would be very cautious.

It is a slide rule of costs.... Less you pay the more you will likely have to do. There are many Mud member rigs purchased for very little, but to get it out of their hands now, you might be paying nearly 20 or more. Of course getting a rig that has been fully baselined is less work for you and comes at the cost of money in place of time. How much time do you think that rig is worth, if it is worth a LOT of time, then pay less.

It is a slide rule of costs.... Less you pay the more you will likely have to do. There are many Mud member rigs purchased for very little, but to get it out of their hands now, you might be paying nearly 20 or more. Of course getting a rig that has been fully baselined is less work for you and comes at the cost of money in place of time. How much time do you think that rig is worth, if it is worth a LOT of time, then pay less.
Good way to look at it. It needs zero exterior cosmeticaly. The paint is better than stock as it was repainted after the accident. Ran down into a ditch which took the front axle and front driver's side out. Owner purchased it that way and a local friend rebuilt it at his shop. Seats are the only issue to make it very very clean high mile 40th with a salvage title. Thinking it would make a nice upgrade for my kid who is in a rough FJ80. All it seems to need is a bath and seat covers. I would upgrade the tires for looks only. I think it would sell very well after a couple years of use. Only issue would be the high miles. Body and interior would be a fantasic LS swap candidate.

Not sure where this one is, but it sounds like one I looked at about 18mos ago. It was pretty bad so I walked away. For something to be a total loss at only 2yrs old something really bad must have happened to it. I would be very cautious.

i second this.

the 1999 salvage is the biggest red flag. Imagine having a $35,000 truck in 1999 and wreaking it so bad that your insurance said, 'nope, its done, not worth repairing.'

are you the owner or buyer in this situation?

$6500 or close would be in the ballpark (in today's market) assuming it was put together right. The Salvage title affects the value a lot, if in another accident the insurance company will total it at a very low number, likely much less than you paid for it, and then take the vehicle.

Personally I would not give any 80 series to a kid to drive, they are too rare
(the 80 series, not the kid). Give the kid a newer Tacoma or a Jeep (or help him fix up his high mileage 80), let him wreck one of those.

Love the advice. Keep it coming. I never keep full coverage on vehicles. Usually just liability unless they get past $15k or so.

Love the advice. Keep it coming. I never keep full coverage on vehicles. Usually just liability unless they get past $15k or so.
I used to do $1000 deductible on my auto insurance until I asked about $0 deductible. It's literally $12/year more. That's an easy one for me to justify as much as I drive and deal with idiots in the city. Also, I know if someone else trashed my vehicle, I'm not out anything more than $12 a year more.

FWIW. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom