Value on 73 stock/resto? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Found this gem on my way to dinner…73 stock/restored. 1k on the rebuilt engine, NO RUST or body hacks/chops. Any ideas what to offer? Think I need to add it to the stable.

E3800893-2244-44D7-8185-4EF4B494D842.jpeg
0B6E8FDD-80C8-4AD0-9D33-680B3A8448F3.jpeg
DB7317C0-FCB4-41E6-8F3A-923B7CCB7463.jpeg
955A5C89-D46F-45E6-8DCA-3B761E94C3D8.jpeg

It’s got the correct, big reverse light so that’s a plus!
What’s your intentions and what’s the asking price? To me, a pristine original and a correct restored original seem to command the most money. I wouldn’t consider this restored, but I would say it looks very nicely redone? Reasons being: non-stock color and they body filler skimmed all the spot welds along rockers, quarters, hard too, etc., not that being smoothed is bad, but in my opinion, the price should reflect its not an original spec restoration. Looks like it may be a Weber carb conversion too?
Also, need way more pics! Both to gauge what it’s worth and just to see it: looks pretty good!

Might get flamed for this. Consider time is money to get a rig to this stage. If you wanna get in it and go, there is a price for that. I can’t vouch for how it was done up. You might want to get some hood history on it, particularly the resto work.. If there is none, I might get someone who knows what they are looking at help review this. If you are handy and on smaller budget, find something else as a starter and do it up. If this is a South American lipstick special, you would need Yoda next to you for mediclurin level insight. They know how to dazzle you with eye candy that can bite you in da ass.

Prices are all over the place. What is the seller asking? No reason for us to guess offers if he is the “no low ballers, I know I have a Barrett Jackson” type. Start with that. You will get better input once we all know. Know this, Mud folks in general will not pay for high prices for rigs because most do it themselves.

Another suggestion: Try to determine if the wiring harness is all original with original connectors, I believe a lot can be learned about the quality of a restoration based upon the originality of the harness. It may also save you grief down the road.

By in the hell do people paint 40s like jelly beans?
Said he really like blue....I told him should have been smurf blue or the old navy

Asking price is 65k...sounds like it's overpriced with the non-stock issues already brought up.

My plans for it are to leave it alone (or find some of the minor stuff not done correctly and fix it). Just drive it and enjoy the old school looks/tech. No hacks or mods planned, as my 74 is already in pieces with a new drivetrain/suspension/axles/etc and will be my resto-mod wheeler.

Last edited:
$65k is well over double what I’d be thinking for that one from the limited pics. I’m sure you’d be hard pressed to build it for that, but $65k would buy a really nice and correct 40. Really nice.

$65k is well over double what I’d be thinking for that one from the limited pics. I’m sure you’d be hard pressed to build it for that, but $65k would buy a really nice and correct 40. Really nice.

Correct.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of money!

Off to search BAT and other sites I might find something of interest

Mud classifieds often has good 40s for decent prices.
Thanks - hoping to find something close to or actually finished. My wife isn't willing to sign off on 2 major projects going at the same time...especially with current numbers/budget on my 74.

BAT is full of South/Central American poo…..just because it’s listed there does not give it a dime of credibility

I saw a beautiful 73 listed in Arkansas yesterday for $35,000 on Facebook

BAT is full of South/Central American poo…..just because it’s listed there does not give it a dime of credibility

I saw a beautiful 73 listed in Arkansas yesterday for $35,000 on Facebook
Not on FB, and refuse to join (just a personal thing).

Also - just saw a great example of a So American "mess" on BAT: 78 FJ40 on BAT - 17" wheels, no heater (looks like Vintage air unit installed), no roll bar, Pioneer stereo, not 100% sure but thought FST had drop tailgate (both 74's Ive owned had them - maybe this style once ambulance doors introduced?), and I'm sure more if we all looked at it hard enough

@nor_cal_cyclist

$65k can buy you a COUPLE of very nice FJ40's off the open market. Or a nice very 40 and a convertible. Or a very nice 40 and a diesel truck and trailer. $65k buys an awful lot.

Just from observing and reading the forum for years, even high dollar builds from big name "reputable" shops come with a multitude of issues and disappointments. There are probably only a handful of boutique shops around the country that truly build you a turn key no-issue truck, but like stated, you aren't paying to have that truck built for under $100k if you are also doing rust removal/bodywork/paint. I'd rather spend less money on a truck knowing I'd have to sort out some issues than spend big money on a truck that still has issues to sort out.

What is your desire and intended use of another FJ40? You had a pretty bad ass crawler FJ40 build going on, is that dead in the water or still moving forward?

I like the patina look personally. If you entertained this '73 for $65k, I would chase after this truck and try to get it for $30k or less. The previous owner was a member here that sold it to the current owner. I've found a soft spot for FST trucks as I've matured.

There is also this super low mileage 1980 from the Landcruiser Museum which is a nice piece.

Obviously if you're looking for a shiny truck that smells like new paint, these wouldn't work for you, but you can get a very nice truck for well under $65k!!!!!

Good luck in the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom