value of your 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt60

KiSS of Death
Threads
Website
www.queencitycycles.com
Mine is priceless of course but to the insurance man it is not i'm sure.

after looking on ebay and random sites i've come up with a mean average of 5500 - 7500k.

so after they total my rig and try and settle with 3k or so i've decided to try my best to get more of course.

so would any one have any input on how to explain to them how i should be able to get my rig back in the order it once was befor the drunk hit it? or am i just sol?

any input would be great reverendheumader@gmail.com..
attachment.php.jpg
attachment-1.php.jpg

You are not SOL.

They will try to low ball you on thier price. Ask them to replace the vehicle with the same condition, options and mileage.

They will raise thier price.

Then buy it back for next to nothing and wheel the heck out of it.

Last edited:
State Farm tried to low ball until I asked them to look up prices on comparable vehicles that were sold. After they looked over the ebay sales or whatever they looked at they decided not to total mine and cut me a $3800 check for a truck I had 3500 into. I used half the money to buy used parts and some mods and now only have 1700 into a truck that's going to be worth much more. You shouldn't be SOL on this.

Keep after the insurance company and show them how much it is worth and they should come around with a better offer.

This is one of my concerns too. I've thought of getting an appraisal BEFORE there is damage so that when something happens I have a document that clearly defines the value of my truck. The problem with that is you need an appraiser that your insurance company will accept so you need to call them and ask who they recommend and use.
I think I'd be hard pressed to accept $5500 to 7500 even though a BJ60 can be had for much less. Folks have told me that my truck is exceptionally clean and it is well appointed.

Seems high to me.

These seem to sell for around $3000-$4000 in good condition.

You can't count your mods. If you do have reciepts for things and they total it, you can get reimbursed for a percentage of those things. They'd rather pay then let you go to the yard and start pulling crap off your truck. It depends on how you insured it. If they only insured a stock truck then the mods are not insured and therefore not part of the payout. They have the choice to let you pull them off and replace them with the original, or to pay about 50% of your reciept value.

I had a pretty tricked out '92 XJ and the same thing happened to me.

keep your finger on the buy-back option
makes for AWESOME parts rig or wheeler

and with the $ left over from the claim, you might could get a more efficient daily driver

I've only got liability on my 60...I know I'd never get the value from the insurance company...I figure if I wreck it I can fix it or pull the good off and build another.

My company said they could insure it for as much as I wanted..All I gotta do is write the check...

If you were hit by someone else are you not dealing with that bozo's insurance company? If so your company should go to bat for you to get what you can..
Maybe your in a "no fault" state or etc so never mind if so..

If you were hit by someone else are you not dealing with that bozo's insurance company? If so your company should go to bat for you to get what you can..
Maybe your in a "no fault" state or etc so never mind if so..

The first question would be did he have insurance?

If he did, your insurance company could go after them. They do not want to do this since your insurance company know the same laws and stall tactic that they know.

They will want to deal directly with you. Because you are too busy to deal with there crap for two or three months. You probably have not researched the laws and read your fine print, etc. You will get frustrated and settle for their second or third offer.

Hang in there.

Go onto Ebay and go the advanced search option. Search for JF60 and check the completed listings only. This will list recent (last 6 monts) sales that either went through or ended w/ reserve not met. It will show the last bid for the trucks.
This can be printed and used for a value range when you start dealing w/ the insurance company. Try autotraders.com and look for the current listings for FJ60s w/ your similar mileage and conditions.
This is what I did when our 'Cruiser was recently damaged in a collision.
Good luck w/ your truck.

My truck is insured for stated value: $16,000. I pay so there are no issues, and even if another insurance company is paying, it establishes the value going into the negotiations.

This is a timeless issue. I have dealt with it for years on old Dodges. Stated value policies are the only way to protect yourself, reliably.

Good luck!
Dan

How much more is a stated value than say a normal full coverage insurance. I am going to try to get stated value on my cruiser once I get it done. i just want to be ready for the sticker shock.

For my policies, liability is about $200 every 6 months. The full coverage portion is roughly proportional to value. So, if you insure a car they think is worth $3000 and move to a stated policy of $15000, then your full coverage premium may go up by 5x. In my case, the stated value policy is about $245/month.

Have a great day,
Dan

How much more is a stated value than say a normal full coverage insurance. I am going to try to get stated value on my cruiser once I get it done. i just want to be ready for the sticker shock.

You'd be suprised... it wasn't that much more for me. I don't remember how much it went up from a normal full coverage policy, but it wasn't much. The policy for my 60 and my wifes LX450 run $131/mo. for full coverage on both (and mine stated @ 12K).

The extra vehicle value that they might have to pay in the event of an accident pales in comparison to the tens or hundreds of thousands they may be paying for an injury. That's what you are paying for.

Man I feel for you. I am going through the same exact thing right now with a 96 3/4 4x4 diesel sub. According to the police report a 84 yr old lady ran a red light and totaled my sub. Here in Ca there is a state law that they have to "make you whole". Well I am sticking to my guns on that statement. There are only three of my Subs for sale in the US, and they are trying to low ball me. Horror stories is all I can say. I also have over 3500 in aftermarket parts with receipts. Another thing that may help before you make any commitments is to ask them what the guaranted purchase price from the salvage yard that they plan on selling it to is. On my sub it is only $1100. I can part it for a whole lot more. They said that there price is usually somewhere around 20-30% of the cars value, but the stickler is that they do not use BUC or Nada values, rather something called CCC (way lower prices), Then the say that your car is in poor shape etc. If possible get the car towed to your house. It gives you more leverage and allows you to meet with all of the adjusters on a personal basis. Make sure the car is clean inside and out and watch how they fill out their forms. My evaluator checked off all boxes under the "condition" as being good in all areas, carpet, body tires, upholstery etc etc. Then Mercury sent me their apprasial that everything was in poor condition, fortunately the car was here and I was able to look at the boxes that they checked. Remember the insurance companies are out to take advantage of you. I wouldnt be surprised if the money that they indvidually save in claim adjusting is rewarded in a % year end bonus. It was interesting that the first adjuster also offered money paid for my taxes paid, tread wear left and a couple of other things and my second adjuster conviently forgot them. Thank you Mercury Insurance:mad: Whatever you do do not give in and remeber the phrase "to be made whole again". So far I am on my second offer and I will not accept anything less than what I can go to a dealer and purchase the same car for in the same condition. I dont care if it takes two years. It is my money and I had to bleed to earn some of it. remember that evry year we pay these bloodsuckers a lot of money for insurance, Stick to your Guns :crybaby::crybaby: and rember the Alamo:bounce2::bounce2:

Sorry to hear about what happened. I hope you're fine.

That's why I'm insuring my rig as a classic. My insurance broker told me to keep all records on everything I put on it.

I like your wheels. What size are they and where did you get them?

Hopefully, you'll get most of the money you put into it. Good luck.

If it's any consolation I had my 89 Tacoma stolen in front of my place 2 months ago. Good thing I had full coverage. My truck was never found.

For my policies, liability is about $200 every 6 months. The full coverage portion is roughly proportional to value. So, if you insure a car they think is worth $3000 and move to a stated policy of $15000, then your full coverage premium may go up by 5x. In my case, the stated value policy is about $245/month.

Have a great day,
Dan

You'd be suprised... it wasn't that much more for me. I don't remember how much it went up from a normal full coverage policy, but it wasn't much. The policy for my 60 and my wifes LX450 run $131/mo. for full coverage on both (and mine stated @ 12K).

The extra vehicle value that they might have to pay in the event of an accident pales in comparison to the tens or hundreds of thousands they may be paying for an injury. That's what you are paying for.

Thanks Dan
Thanks Cameron (might see you in Hot Springs - still undecided)

thanks for all the great input. the man came down and they tried to give me 5k. well i paid 6k 4years ago bone stock. i've got 2 1/2" bds kit worth 1200k installed 1100 motor from cruiser parts i put in last feb, jim c carbs and pully. to many sor and man-it-aint fre extra crap over the years header radiator ect. the wheels are street loc unique 15x8 w/ bridgestone revo at (not cheep) about a 1100k package list goes on. they did try to say it was in poor shape and that i had paint peeling and a dent on it with a rock chiped window? clowns i tell ya. so now to the ebay looking for like cars... good news is that i can get the spring hanger and drive shaft put back for 150 bones clams what ever and at least drive it. thanks to all again... hope to be in hotsprings next month...

Here in Ca there is a state law that they have to "make you whole".

Do you mean California? Can you give me a source? I have searched but cannot find specific regulation for this.

I got hit today on the 405, some lady blew a tire 3 lanes over and plowed into driver's side door and then I hit the wall. Full-on NASCAR style. Looking at 5000.00+ to "make me whole".

I just know the other drivers insurance company will give me problems.

This thread has helped.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom