Value of a 1979 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don’t know if this is the right forum for this. I am looking to purchase a 1979 fj40 (photos attached). The vehicle runs and drives well. It is leaking a little bit of oil. The drivers side floor pan is rusted and has holes as well as the back right quarter panel. All of the gauges and wipers work well. What would be a good price for this? Thanks.
4672C46F-2784-4D03-AD5B-A9398AF9CA50.png
CFE9637C-C7AC-4825-AEE9-383547B3EA42.jpeg
9C8DB6EA-229F-4624-AE52-2622E84D0FB4.jpeg
7EA9956F-C11C-444A-ADB5-DF1C6BC0723E.png
AEF47D81-091A-4A7D-ACD8-355D7D18FB3A.png
4672C46F-2784-4D03-AD5B-A9398AF9CA50.png
CFE9637C-C7AC-4825-AEE9-383547B3EA42.jpeg
9C8DB6EA-229F-4624-AE52-2622E84D0FB4.jpeg
7EA9956F-C11C-444A-ADB5-DF1C6BC0723E.png
AEF47D81-091A-4A7D-ACD8-355D7D18FB3A.png

Hard to see how extensive the rust is from the pics. All original under the hood? AC and PS and 79 is all good. People are paying stupid amounts for cobbled together south american imports. If this is an original usa truck, I bet they will get close to their asking price.

Hard to see how extensive the rust is from the pics. All original under the hood? AC and PS and 79 is all good. People are paying stupid amounts for cobbled together south american imports. If this is an original usa truck, I bet they will get close to their asking price.
All original under the hood except for a new aluminum radiator. The AC is currently not working I think they took it out when they installed the new radiator. It has the PTO winch.

It really depends on what you want to end up with.
I think if you took it to a shop to fix the rust and a complete repaint you would be looking at easy over $15.000.00 for the work.

So, if you paid $15,000, $15,000 for paint and body. Then the interior and mechanical. You have a $40,000 cruiser pretty fast.

I usually figure my time at .05 an hour because I like to work on things. If you have to pay someone you get to spend the money, and take the time, My cruiser was in the shop for 6 months just having the top and tub corners replaced. It was not a high priority for the shop. Insurance work comes first.

If it was me I would not pay more than $10k. If it was your grandpa's car and money was no object, that's one thing. Even though it is my hobby I hate to lose money.

Last edited:
Be curious how the exhaust is run for the PTO driveshaft. Stock exhaust runs under the frame blocking PTO driveshaft. This exhaust exits out the driver's side. More like the pre 79. I know in Arizona depending where you are a CAT is required. Serious doubt CAT if it has one is in the stock location. In the US a PTO winch was not an option. The exhaust run out side the frame prevents the PTO driveshaft route. Would find out where the A
CAT if it has one. Doesn't have one b would find our what else is missing from the emissions.

It really depends on what you want to end up with.
I think if you took it to a shop to fix the rust and a complete repaint you would be looking at easy over $15.000.00 for the work.

So, if you paid $15,000, $15,000 for paint and body. Then the interior and mechanical. You have a $40,000 cruiser pretty fast.

I usually figure my time at .05 an hour because I like to work on things. If you have to pay someone you get to spend the money, and take the time, My cruiser was in the shop for 6 months just having the top and tub corners replaced. It was not a high priority for the shop. Insurance work comes first.

If it was me I would not pay more than $10k. If it was your grandpa's car and money was no object, that's one thing. Even though it is my hobby I hate to lose money.
That’s a good way to look at it. I would do the work myself but I do not want it to be a complete overhaul.

These threads are always interesting to me. There must be a cache of $9 to $11k later model, one owner, factory power steering, factory ac, minimal rust (to me this is not a really bad tub by any means), complete and original FJ40s for sale somewhere that I don't know about.

From what I see on the internets, a 1/79+ in this condition comes up maybe once or twice a year. And 8/80 and later 40s come once a year maybe. 20k is a pretty good price unless there is something terrible hiding under the truck.

My suggestion is buy it and drive it for a while. I see you are a new member so maybe you have not driven 40s much in the past, you may find you hate it and don't want to put much more money into it. At 20k you can resell it and not lose your shirt on the resell.

PS: If someone can show me where the cache of these late model 40s are at I would be interested in buying all of them.

The market is way high nowadays. That being said the seller is on par with his/her price in my opinion. I bet it will not last long.
Good news is the truck appears to be very complete....no paint color change, hardtop and doors are there, as well as rear tire carrier, original floor mat, front turn signals etc.

A/C option holds a lot of value as well.
Has a clean title?
If you do purchase the truck make sure to ask for any and all spare parts, especially the a/c stuff. And all receipts/paperwork available.

Good luck and let us know.

These threads are always interesting to me. There must be a cache of $9 to $11k later model, one owner, factory power steering, factory ac, minimal rust (to me this is not a really bad tub by any means), complete and original FJ40s for sale somewhere that I don't know about.

From what I see on the internets, a 1/79+ in this condition comes up maybe once or twice a year. And 8/80 and later 40s come once a year maybe. 20k is a pretty good price unless there is something terrible hiding under the truck.

My suggestion is buy it and drive it for a while. I see you are a new member so maybe you have not driven 40s much in the past, you may find you hate it and don't want to put much more money into it. At 20k you can resell it and not lose your shirt on the resell.

PS: If someone can show me where the cache of these late model 40s are at I would be interested in buying all of them.

I agree 100%. 79 and later rigs are in a different market entirely. $20k for that rig looks like a fair deal. Prices are going up and they're not going to come back down, rust will always be taking these trucks out of the marketplace.

Think it will be a long time before we see FJ40s selling for $100K at auctions. There were a few in years past. One was sold locally in Scottsdale. Local member owned it, stock 77 except for a H55F. New five speed but for a 60 series. Did not have the 40 top cover. Old Blazers and Old Broncos has replaced the FJ40 frenzy.

My '79 didn't make it to $30k on BAT. The auction closed over July 4th weekend, but I don't know if that had a negative effect. My truck has working Vintage Air AC, in-tact emissions equipment and a bunch of fresh service items. It's rust free but it was cheaply repainted by a PO to skim over some body dings. I'd agree that $20k is within reason for that truck. That PTO winch is cool.
Contrary to the analysis above, it looks like the exhaust may be in the same place as on my (US) truck.
1661810747195.png

Stock route on my 3/79. Blocks the PTO driveshaft route.
20220724_111950.jpg

Notmyt picture but here is routing on the FJ40 from 1/79 on in markets without a CAT.
2E2BABE5-42C6-43A1-9A94-61529870C6E3.jpeg

Aftermarket piece I friend found in Tasmania.
P1070175.JPG
P1070177.JPG

8/80 a heat shield was added to the firewall and US routing changed to like other markets except for a small extra pipe for emissions.
Both US styles are discontinued a long time ago. The non US version is available thru the Heritage Program. How to purchase in the US is a mystery. Seems the next section of pipe can be purchased from Japan. Only problem is price is in the $2.5K neighborhood. As I remember the pipe from Tasmania was around $110 US shipped to Australia where it is now.

Why are they always so tempting. Buy it and spend the next ten years of your life fixing it up and reading mud threads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom