value of 71 fj45 stock vs later drive train? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im currently restoring a 71 45 , its not currently in the US but am seriously considering shipping it up för sale there. My question is, in a given condition... Såy an 8 restoration on a scale of 1-10, would the truck be worth considerably more with the 2f and the original 3sp or with a låter 3f and a 5sp and matching case...plus power steering and front disks from a 70 series donor? The thing is, the truck is going to be Nice but realistically NOT any sort of concourse condition, so the truck is a a user not a show truck... So, orig or improved drivetrain???? Alsoooo, would it hurt the value much to use a 1980 tub from a 40 using the parts from the 45 to keep it a proper pickup? My 80 tub can be made usefull much easier than my stock 45 tub....but obviously it would be låter style with the "gills" plus the vent flaps. Bad idea, value wise? Btw please excuse the sloppy phone txt formatting.

Last edited:
In my opinion only, there is a much larger market for nice, drivable, non-rusty but tastefully modified Cruisers than there is for 100-point restorations. The vast majority of Cruiser owners have them to wheel or at least drive, not as part of a collection or a museum piece. Having said that, if your goal is to sell it for as much as possible, then 100% all-original is probably the way to go - but it may take you a while to sell it because again the market for those is pretty small.

Thanks Chupacabra, yes of course i do want to maximise my return.... But I keep wondering if as a driver quality resto, if i leave it stock it might it actually End up being worth less ? Cuz if its reallly not going to make that much of à différence heck i,ll save the nicer drivetrain for another project......???? Certainly would be allot simplet to keep it stock too.

My own philosophy is to make whatever mods/improvements I want for my truck, and the re-sale be damned. You are unlikely to recover the cost of restoration or a lot of mods either one in truth, unless you do all the work yourself and don't put any value on your time. The best way is never to sell it! Good luck with your project in any event

Well, in the states that would be true... but here the sad reality is that the labor rates are what are making this whole thing possible. I'm getting my frame totally re-worked my frame, costing me about 350$ total. Anyway... damn, leaning towards leaving it stock... I have the stock wheels, carb, motor trans seat, headache rack.

For my money, and if labor was cheap I'd want something a little different (since sock 45s aren't very hard to get here in Canada). How about a 4 door, extended cab, 45 with a diesel motor? Next best would be with the 3Fe and a 5 speed.
Personally I wouldn't care about body year... But many would want to keep the bench seat.

All that said, I've got champagne tastes, and no budget. :cheers:

I left my 45 stock looking but with many mechanical upgrades for daily drivability like power steering, power brakes 4 speed oh yeah seat belts were a nice addition , anyway I like the stock look and think it adds value to have some modern amenities .

Yeah, believe it or not I did know that a 3F was not "correct" for this truck, but thanks for pointing out that that other rusty old thing is an F not a 2F.

Last edited:
Yes, 71 should have F with remote mounted oil filter.

74 had an F with updated oiling like a 2F. 2Fs began in 75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom