Value of 1996 Land Cruiser triple locked. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help with a FAIR value to sell it for. When I look on market place prices are all over the place and of course I cannot see what has sold or what it sold for. I see these going for $4K to $10K that look to be in same shape.

Time to sell my 1996 Land Cruiser, I am second owner and have owned since 1996. 240K miles triple locked new tires cold AC and daily driven.

Head Gasket, timing belt, and valve seals done about 4 years ago.
Cold AC
Sun Roof
triple lockers
New Tires
Runs and drives
Daily Driver till now. Daughter bought a new car.
Two rust holes formed next to the spoiler, I took the spoiler off and put roofing tape over it for now. Might fix it or just sell it as is.

So what is a fair price to hope to get, not looking to sell it as cheap as possible but a fair price to bring as much as I can to pay my bills. Normally a price is easy, but on FB market place the prices are all over the place leaving me no clue what is a good fair price.
Thanks for any help you all can give.

20230318_112632.jpg

20230318_112645.jpg

20230318_112650.jpg

20230318_112703.jpg

20230318_112716 - Copy.jpg

Really going to depend on how it presents, visible rust (and tape haha) and ripped seats etc it going to be a tougher sell...
milage of course makes a big difference too
Ask $8000

Agree with presentation comment. Disagree with the $8k guess. I know it’s just a guess but it’s low for today’s market.

Duct tape isn’t going to help sell. I’d replace that immediately with bolts with a rubber washer.

Clean, clean, clean the exterior and interior. What does the frame and underbite look like? Engine bay? Any issues? CEL? Do the lockers even work?

You have a highly desirable rig. White and 3x locked and people are easily influenced so they’ll pay premiums for just checking those two boxes by themselves.

It looks to me like you can maximize your returns with some effort. $12-18k depending on a lot of the aforementioned variables and others I didn’t mention.

Ya the bodys abit cleaner than $8000,
the pics just came through for some reason
id pay 10k for sure

1.5 years ago 14k
1 year ago 10k
Today 8k

Since your truck has lived near the beach I think rust is going to be the big question. I would want to see a lot more pictures of all the typical places rust likes to live. I looked at a 2013 LC as well as my 2013 LX. The LC was a beach truck and it was night and day between it and my LX.

Since your truck has lived near the beach I think rust is going to be the big question. I would want to see a lot more pictures of all the typical places rust likes to live. I looked at a 2013 LC as well as my 2013 LX. The LC was a beach truck and it was night and day between it and my LX.
It has actually spent very little time at the beach, it was in Orlando and when we moved over here full time my son had it at UCF, then another son had it at UCF, then my daughter had it, then it lived in Kissimmee, so it just came back to me. Underside looks good, under the hood looks good, just for some reason it go two rust holes at the edge of the spoiler.

1.5 years ago 14k
1 year ago 10k
Today 8k
Three or 4 years ago I was going to sell it, cleaned it all up and everyone I could find was 4K or 5K, then my son decided to take it for a while. When I looked online to see ones without the locker and the front smashed in real bad for 6.5K I was shocked. If I new I could get over 10K 1.5 years ago it would have been gone.

Agree with presentation comment. Disagree with the $8k guess. I know it’s just a guess but it’s low for today’s market.

Duct tape isn’t going to help sell. I’d replace that immediately with bolts with a rubber washer.

Clean, clean, clean the exterior and interior. What does the frame and underbite look like? Engine bay? Any issues? CEL? Do the lockers even work?

You have a highly desirable rig. White and 3x locked and people are easily influenced so they’ll pay premiums for just checking those two boxes by themselves.

It looks to me like you can maximize your returns with some effort. $12-18k depending on a lot of the aforementioned variables and others I didn’t mention.
The tape is covering two rust holes, it got holes right at the edge of the spoiler bracket. I did clean it put rust converter before I taped over it. Since it was not where I live I could not really fix it. Engine bay is as clean as you would expect for 240K miles. The locker lights turn on when I turn it, but I do not have any mud or snow to test it. CEL is on for the EGR valve, I kid you not it has been on for 23 years. When we re did the head gasket the EGR was removed and blocked off, it was no good. Those two holes on the back are the only real rust issues, frame and everything else is solid and looks fine. I might just clean the inside best I can and list it for 9K and just see what happens and fix it while it is listed.

IMHO all these "how much is it worth" threads don't have much "value" as so much depends on condition, condition, condition and no one can really see what's the condition or check to see what works and what doesn based on a few photos. Even 100 photos might not show all the issues, but half dozen, nope.

What is apparent from the few photos above is torn leather seats, steering wheel, and center console cover, a trashed carpet (water leaks into the cabin?), rusted rear hatch where the dust/wind deflector mounts used to be, front bumper tweaked?, and sun damaged belt moldings. Also appears to be ?spot on the roof close to the windshield, is that rust coming up from below?? and the fuel filler door is wonky, was it in an accident?

Other signs indicating it may have been parked for a long time and if so why??

It needs a close inspection for rust, checking the rocker panels, inside the quarter panels cavities, bottom of doors, lift gate, tail gate, under the carpet due to water leaks inside the cabin, etc,etc,etc.

IME interior and exterior wear/damage can cost more to fix/replace than most mechanical repairs, combined.

Post up (or add a link) to at least 30-40 more photos including interior showing all wear/damage, undercarriage showing all rust/leaks, axle housings showing the front knuckles, area above the spare tire, mulitple views of the engine bay, A-pillars and roof around the windshield, windshield manufacturer (to show if it's been replaced), roof rack, doors including the lower inner lip/seam sealer area, ----

Can't put a fair price on it without a close up inspection but IMHO based on the few photos, $5000-6000, lower than other guess-timates due to the interior condition, rear hatch, unknowns, etc.

The tape is covering two rust holes, it got holes right at the edge of the spoiler bracket. I did clean it put rust converter before I taped over it. Since it was not where I live I could not really fix it. Engine bay is as clean as you would expect for 240K miles. The locker lights turn on when I turn it, but I do not have any mud or snow to test it. CEL is on for the EGR valve, I kid you not it has been on for 23 years. When we re did the head gasket the EGR was removed and blocked off, it was no good. Those two holes on the back are the only real rust issues, frame and everything else is solid and looks fine. I might just clean the inside best I can and list it for 9K and just see what happens and fix it while it is listed.
I think $9k is too low. Guys like Kernal and others who have been a round a long time see all the little issues that amount to $$$$ and time to fix.

Other people see the triple lockers and a white 80 and they don’t care about all the other things.

You will never sell this thing to a crusty mud, cruiser fantastic extraordinaire for more than $5-6k but normal humans will pay doubly that all day long.

Unless it’s a complete s*** box, I think you can get more than $10 easily. Just clean that s*** up and get rid of the duct tape!

Who was it that said "There's a sucker born every minute" ?

My opinion above is based on looking at a couple dozen FZJ80's over the years including buying/owning three, one of which (triple locked) I got burned on because I didn't look close enough, and it didn't appear to be a sheet box on a quick inspection, no body damage and nice interior.

But then eveyone wants to believe their rig is worth it's weight in gold and they tend to become blind to the issues right in front of them. And then many buyers do the same hoping they're looking at a diamond in the rough.

Point is, if anyone buys one of these without taking their time and doing their homework they can get burned, even one of the crusty fantastic LC fanatics.

Last edited:
Clean it up, post it for $15,000.00 obo and see what happens

@cjgoode : Got more photos of the undercarriage, engine bay, axles, interior,
hatch with the tape removed, ???

If this is an unpainted glacier white (the buff it until polish) AND triple locked ? 10-12k easy. Y’all with the 8k can’t even buy a wrecked one from copart.

what are those bumps around the steering wheel bottom ? - never seen those

Do the actuators even work?? If they dont, as a potential buyer, you can take $2k off the top for the pain and suffering of fixing them. Not that its a hard job, just the time and hassles. Plus, figure in a new hatch at about $500....

Where is the truck located? Also, more pics please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom